Is my Silkie dying?

10chicks

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Pennsylvania
idunno.gif
I have 10- day olds (Now 3 days old) and the One silkie is doing nothing but sleeping. Any suggestions or are her days numbered?

Last edited:
how long has this been going on? Can you force feed a drop or two of sugar water or gatorade?
and welcome. maybe someone with more experience will see this soon.

Last edited:
I've been trying to give some water. They all came a day late in shipping but they all perked up except her and a Sebright that died. She looks smaller than the others two silkies though.

try force feeding with an eye dropper. you might start out with gatorade so she can get some electrolytes in her.

Last edited:
Quote:
I suspect she may have become too chilled and dehydrated and not sufficiently recovered and the effects of this has snowballed. If you can get her to a vet so he can properly address these sorts of underlying issues and any others , that would be her best option. If you are unable to do this then get some proper electrolytes/vitamins...separate her and dribble some of the electrloyte (warm temperature not cold) regularly along her beak Also get some baby parrot handfeeding formula (get this at petstore or online if there are none in your area that carry it) ...it is a powder that you mix water with... mix that in with some of her feed.
Is her feed medicated (if not then there may be an issue with cocci so watch her poos for consistency and eventual signs of blood)

Last edited:
Well, I used a dropper to feed some gatorade-water and she perked up and is chirping but now the trick is to get her eating. I guess we'll see how the day goes. I'd appreciate any other suggestions. Thanks!

i'll go to the pet store and look for the parrot food this morning. Thanks

* You can try making her some hot mash using a spoonful of your chick starter and a little hot water in a very small SHALLOW dish or bowl. You then have to push her beak into it, probably repeatedly to get her eating. Have a cloth on your lap and another one handy b/c this is messy work!! Try for 10 minutes or so. Don't wear her out, o.k.?

Last edited:
Good Job!!!!!! That is wonderful what you have done for this little one. She may end up being your "baby" and be extrememly tame now. Keep us posted on her and prayers are with you.

sad.png

Well my daughters baby died yesterday. She had an obituary written for her when we got home from church. (Among other things it said she died from an eating disorder!! haha!) The rest are thriving so I hope all goes well with them. Thanks for any help

Back
Top Bottom