Is my silkie gonna die?! HELP!

SweetLilRachy00

Songster
14 Years
Oct 30, 2007
Simpsonville, SC
OK, he had been abused and pecked on by the big chickens. He had an injury that was full of pus. Cleaned it out and rinsed with bedadine. Dried out and looks good. There's a bump by the injury spot but doesn't seem to bother him when I touch it.

He is now makng all these werid noises and kinda sounds like whining? I don't know how a chicken whining sounds...but that's how i can explain it. He is standing with his mouth open too..doesn't sound like he's having trouble breathing though. he's not overly hot...and has fresh cold water...

any suggestions?

We can't afford a visit to the vet..let a lone find one!
th.gif

He is about 20 weeks old? I think.

*Well, it could be that he's just complaining about the pain--or having to be separated from his girls (despite the abuse) but it's hard to say. He should probly have some antibiotic in his water,tho and maybe someone has some other ideas as well.

Last edited:
Well I have poked around and felt and squeezed the 'bump' and there doesn't seem to bother him! I am kind wondering if maybe it's just the skin regenerating after a harsh injury? The feathers do stick out at an angle though.

How can I put something in his water? He is with his sister silkie. What kind of antibiotics?

*A good feed store should have both water-soluble and some injectable antibiotics & be able to help w/ which is better for wounds or illness-- or, a pet store with aquariums will usually have one or two routinely used for fish tanks (water-soluble).

do you have a photo of the injury???
If the bird is panting (on a continuous basis) then it needs electrolytes...do you have any? if so please put in waterer...
You should not allow your other silkie to drink any medicated water that your injured one needs.

amoxycillin is what is the standard antibiotic recommended for injuries ... though I know of no source outside a vet (unless you have the human amoxicillin>same thing only the the strength may vary)... here is the standard info for injuries from the AVIAN WOUND MANAGEMENT site:
http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2003/august/Cousquer/Avian-Wound-Assessment.html
excerpt summary on TREATMENT measures:
First aid
Traumatised birds often have multiple injuries and may be further compromised by dehydration, malnutrition and other problems, especially if there has been a delay (hours or days) between injury and presentation [1]. Fluid and nutritional therapy and treatment for shock are critical in the early management of all traumatised birds. Overzealous wound and fracture treatment before stabilisation of the bird may prove fatal [1]. Some first aid of the wound, however, will inevitably be required.

Wound first aid will usually be performed at the time of the initial or subsequent clinical examination. It need not be high tech but should fulfil a number of basic objectives:

Cleaning - The wound should be cleaned quickly to remove as much contamination as possible. A more thorough cleaning should await veterinary examination of the wound. This is usually performed under general anaesthetic to help minimise stress . Sterile isotonic saline (0.9%) or a solution of 0.05% chlorhexidine may be used. Care should be taken not to wet the bird excessively as this is likely to increase the risks of hypothermia.

Haemostasis - veterinary attention should be requested if there is excessive bleeding. Bleeding from most small wounds will stop following the application of a wound dressing.

Protection from dehydration - the use of a hydrogel (e.g. Intrasite) will help protect a wound. This can be covered by a vapour permeable film dressing (e.g. Opsite) to provide further protection. (IN OTHER WORDS >KEEP THE WOUND MOIST)

Immobilisation - certain wounds may benefit from immobilisation or splinting. A figure of eight dressing can be used to immobilise the lower wing, for example, or the limb can be strapped to the body.

Analgesia and antibiotics - broad spectrum antibiotics can be provided in the first instance: clavulanic acid potentiated amoxycillin (150mg/kg orally or subcutaneously) will provide cover against most aerobes and anaerobes. Analgesia can be provided with NSAIDs (e.g. carprofen (Rimadyl)) 5mg/kg subcutaneously or intravenously. Local (topical) anaesthetics should not be used in birds due to the suggested sensitivity of birds to drugs of the procaine group "."

http://www.ronsvetsupply.com/granulexv.html
supplier of a difficult to find component described in the wound management articles (also offered on the hORSE sites and section of agri suppliers):
A "must have" product for advanced wound care. This is an over the counter, veterinary version of a prescription human product that has been used for many years to treat bed sores, deep abrasions and thermal burns. The active ingredient, Trypsin, is an enzyme that digests necrotic (dead) tissue, enabling it to be removed while at the same time, stimulating healthy epithelial cells to develop so that they can cover open or slow healing wounds. Can be used with or without bandaging. Use twice daily, washing debris away between applications. Labeled for use on dogs, cats, horses and cattle. Manufactured by Bertek Pharmaceuticals for Pfizer Animal Health."

and here are more articles on wound management:
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=practical&action=display&num=1158141893

Well, as far as I can tell, the wound is healed and gone. But I was curious about the breathing issue and the bump. I will take a pic when I can sneak in there without toddlers or cats!

Back
Top Bottom