Is my situation right for ducks?

BallsEleven

Songster
Dec 12, 2019
South Louisiana
I have been researching a while into keeping ducks in my backyard for the purpose of eggs and maybe the occasional gumbo bird. I figured that best thing to do would be to ask some people who have experience.

Right now I sit on a 1/2 acre and they would be kept in the backyard which is a little over half the property. No trees except for the 4 fruit trees I have planted this year. The yard is also surrounded by 8ft privacy fence. They shouldn't be able to get over that right?

There are no woods near the subdivision so I would think my biggest predator concern would be hawks. I have never seen any raccoons or possums so I wouldn't think they would be a huge problem. I have blue berry bushes and a large swing set they can use for cover if needed.

I live in Louisiana so it's hot and humid here. There should be enough shade for summer days between bushes, swing set, and the back patio.

My plan would be to keep their pen/coop open during the day to let them forage the backyard and bring them in at night. I would have to fill in a spot or 2 where the fence is off the ground a bit but it wouldn't be much trouble at all. I would start off with 3-4 and go from there.

There are more details I can give but I don't want to hit y'all with too big of a wall of text.

I appreciate any advice/help you can give!

Geaux Tigers!

Thank you!

Yes I plan on building a 4x4 coop for them to go in at night and leave open during the day.

As far as a pen outside of that I haven’t gotten that far yet. That was one of my concerns, letting them free roam throughout the yard while at work during the day.

I used to have a small flock of ducks, and they had ducklings, etc. so I think ducks are very fun to have around. Assuming you don't get muscovies, the ducks can quack pretty loud, about as loud as a rooster for some of them. I'd make sure the neighbors are OK with the idea, if there area any very close. Also, assuming no muscovies, most mallard-derived duck breeds can barely clear a couple of feet off the ground, that's been my observation with runners, black swedish, crested, but some people might say khaki campbells can go higher. But the 8 foot fence is way higher than you need so I say you're quite safe with that height. For predator-safe run, there are many options including starting with a 10x10x6 dog run and adding hardware cloth. For keeping them cool, I used a kiddie wading pool, and later a 20-gallon mixing tub, which they enjoy splashing around in (and mating in). I hope you enjoy your duck endeavors!

I have a pair of Pekin ducks that we let free range during the day on 2 acres, minimal fence. They use less than 2000 sq ft of the yard and love to hang out on my porch (think mess!) when they aren’t foraging. They have a pool in their dog run modified coop. I put out 5 hay bales to block the wind in the winter. They will denude the coop floor.

I used to have a small flock of ducks, and they had ducklings, etc. so I think ducks are very fun to have around. Assuming you don't get muscovies, the ducks can quack pretty loud, about as loud as a rooster for some of them. I'd make sure the neighbors are OK with the idea, if there area any very close. Also, assuming no muscovies, most mallard-derived duck breeds can barely clear a couple of feet off the ground, that's been my observation with runners, black swedish, crested, but some people might say khaki campbells can go higher. But the 8 foot fence is way higher than you need so I say you're quite safe with that height. For predator-safe run, there are many options including starting with a 10x10x6 dog run and adding hardware cloth. For keeping them cool, I used a kiddie wading pool, and later a 20-gallon mixing tub, which they enjoy splashing around in (and mating in). I hope you enjoy your duck endeavors!

Glad to hear about the fence.

The dog pen and kiddie pool are what I had in mind as well!

One neighbor is nonexistent and is hardly ever at home. The other is a good ole boy who doesn’t mind at all. I read the silver Apple yard are decently quiet so I was thinking maybe go with those.

Back
Top Bottom