Is my Sniper broody?

GopherBoyFarms

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Vancouver WA
They are all about 6 months old now.
All our chickens are laying pretty good.
And we just got our bator up and running. But now we have one of the girls that doesnt want to get off her eggs (well they are really hard boiled eggs along with a few of hers). She is in the coop, in the nestbox just sitting...and anytime I go in there she makes funny little cute grawling sounds. She has been like this for about 4 days now so I stuck a few more eggs in her box today.

This is my first go around with a broody hen.....so do you think she is?

100_0002-12.jpg

It certainly seems that she's gone broody. So, you have fertile eggs under her and want her to hatch them?

I would suggest moving her to a separate, safe area now. That way the other hens won't try to lay their eggs on top of her and when she does hatch her chicks, they will be safe from the rest of the flock until you are ready to reintegrate them.

Make sure she has food and water real close to her and that she has room to get up off the nest on those rare occasions that she does so.

Good luck.

I loved having a broody and then getting a chick!

well she went broody about the same time we filled the incubator.....so one way or another we will be having baby...WE HOPE!

I will see how DH feel about letting her take up residence in the corvette in the garage LMAO
most the gild like to lay there eggs in the bag of stray that are in the garage anyway.

This is very excitting. Tomorrow we are going to unplug the nightlight in the coop so it will be easier to move her and her eggs when she is asleep. We have a nice area in the garage for her.....but what if she doesnt like that spot? Will she just give up on the eggs and go back to the nest box?

..but what if she doesnt like that spot? Will she just give up on the eggs and go back to the nest box?

well... you did say you have a 'bator, right?​

Quote:
well... you did say you have a 'bator, right?

yeah....but it's full and they went in about the same time she started. Maybe I will leave her in the coop a little longer.
She seems to be doing ok in there

Back
Top Bottom