Is my "special needs" BO broody or sick?

grinningranny

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Mountains of southern Colorado
"Buffy" has always been a little "off" She got splay leg when she was a young chick and is still pretty gimpy when she walks. It has recently gotten worse. She is at the very bottom of the pecking order and stays aloof from the other hens. when she was about 8 weeks old, we don't know how because the coop is totally fenced in, she showed up on our doorstep half dead. We think it might have been one of our dogs. we kept her in the house, and nursed her back to health but she was never the same after that. She is blind in one eye and needs help every night getting up onto the roost.

5 days ago she started setting in one of the nesting boxes on 2 eggs, and not getting off, exept for the 1st day to eat or drink. i put 8 more eggs under her, thinking she was going broody.Today I took her off and she could hardly walk at first, now this is gross, but she took a HUGE stinky dump, and hobbled outside, where she was promptly bullied by a BR. I brought her back in and she couldn't even climb onto the nest. so I placed her in there. she ate and drank just a minimal amount. I've never had chickens before so I'm not sure what is going on with her. She is not aggressive, except to ruffle her feathers, and make a low sort of growling sound when I get close. She does act a little aggressive toward the turkeys, though.

Any insight on her behavior would be appreciated, Thanks.

Sounds just like a broody, with the growling and the feather ruffling. The poop too; broodies take the nastiest poops! I think it's sweet that your "special needs" girl decided she wanted to try being a mom.
smile.png
Whether you want her to be is the question, though, especially since she's somewhat physically challenged.

Update on Buffy...she hatched out 5 healthy adorable fuzz balls and is teaching them all those chickeny things. She came from a hatchery so never had a mom to teach her but it's amazing how that mothering instinct is just there.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! So glad that her brood went well!
hugs.gif
It's amazing how instinctive mothering behavior is to chickens. Watching a hen with her chicks is one of my favorite things in the world.
love.gif

So how old are the little ones now? Any idea on who was mom and dad for each?
smile.png

The little ones are 6 to 7 days old and Buffy has found her niche in life. she is a great Mom... it is so much fun to watch her with her brood. One of the offspring I believe is hers, two are from EE moms and there is probably a Wellsummer in there. Not sure about the rest. The Roo is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte

Oh, I'd be very interested in seeing how these little ones turn out! Blue-Laced Red Wyandottes are so gorgeous. Hoping that you get girls out of the hatch! And that those chicks carry their mama's brooding tendency. Our hen Dory just finished taking care of her last brood, much to their frustration! They don't like not being taken care of by mom anymore.
tongue.png
Dory is from a hatchery too. Those brooding instincts are so amazing.

Auburn; When did you take them away from Dory? I was just wondering today when and how that would go. They're just so darn cute, when I come into the coop curious little heads pop out from all over her, and I saw one riding around on her back today...I have no idea what they'll end up looking like, but blue can throw back to black, or...?

Back
Top Bottom