Is my Starlight Green a ROO?

WhistlePig

Chirping
Jan 14, 2023
I have had my baby chicks from Rural King for 13 days now and only JUST realized that the chick who is outgrowing the others by far might be a male.

He/she is a Starlight Green Egger, according to the sign, and is at least a third bigger than most of the other chicks. Big, thick legs and a bit of a spiky comb showing which gave me a start today when it all came together for me. I was so excited to have a green egg layer that it is extra discomforting to think this one could be a cockerel.

Now I simply CANNOT find any info on if Starlight Green Eggers are autosex chicks or sexlink hybrids. I'm assuming they aren't because it's so hard to find info saying so. The comb is still flesh colored but then, it's super early.

I also like his/her personality so am somewhat on edge about it. Any thoughts?

Do you have a picture? As far as size goes you can't really use it to judge male vs. female when comparing with different breed chicks. Different breeds all grow at different rates.

You're right, of course, it must depend on the breed sometimes.

I couldn't get good shots, not sure why it wouldn't focus on its face. Those feet/that body mass is BIG. Twice as heavy as my smaller chick of the same age.

Attachments

• DSC06067.JPG
    DSC06067.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC06070.JPG
    DSC06070.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 71
That SGE chick looks normal and like it could be female to me. I've had a couple , including two in that color as chicks. Search this forum for SGE and SGE chick pictures - that may help you feel better about things. Worry about it around 5-6 weeks - if you post pics then we can help you tell one way or the other.

Some chicks do have large/thick legs and feet, but it's not solely a rooster trait. SGE combs can look big sometimes when they're chicks.

That SGE chick looks normal and like it could be female to me. I've had a couple , including two in that color as chicks. Search this forum for SGE and SGE chick pictures - that may help you feel better about things. Worry about it around 5-6 weeks - if you post pics then we can help you tell one way or the other.

Some chicks do have large/thick legs and feet, but it's not solely a rooster trait. SGE combs can look big sometimes when they're chicks.
I once had ordered special breed mail order chicks. The blue laced red Wyandotte was giant around that age. The largest chick I had ever seen, for that matter. She turned out to be a beautiful hen. An abnormally large one though.

Back
Top Bottom