Is my yard suitable?

Ocean_Mama

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 7, 2010
We have a rather small backyard and I was wondering if it is suitable for chickens (2-3). Its is only about 1000 sq feet.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sure, give them a little roaming space, a nest box, and protection from the elements and predators and you will be fine. Good luck!

Since they are social animals, I'd recommend three instead of two in case something happens to one of them.

In answer to your specific question, it depends on how your yard is fenced. They will not stay in that area unless they are fenced in. If it is fenced, they will do great in there. They will eat almost any vegtables you try to grow, scratch the mulch away from any plant they can get to, create bare areas especially to dust bathe in, and drop "fertilizer" in all the inconvenient spots, but they will love that much space. Just be prepared t fence off any area you don't want them to get to.

It may sound like I'm being negative. I'm really not but I want you prepared for what will happen. It can be a great experience.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
. Ridgerunner is right - be prepared do step around their "offerings". But, you'll love watching their antics.

Last edited:
Find out your city laws. Some cities have laws that say a coop must be a certain distance from the neighbor's buildings or your own property line. It's possible that your yard (depending on dimensions) might not technically allow the city law requirements.

Back
Top Bottom