Is Noise a Problem with new chicks

Audsrose

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Ancaster, Ontario
Hi Everyone, I am planning on keeping my new arrivals in the house for the first month as the weather here is still extremely cold. I have my brooder set up in the basement already to go and while mentally going over a check list, I suddenly thought about household noise. Will loud noises bother the little chicks. My basement is not finished and my husband occassionally works down there with power tools. And what about vaccuming and household appliances. Will the noises upset them?

D.gif

I brood mine in the garage where I use the saws and and other power tools and find that they get used to the noise pretty quick and it seems to help when they get older to not go completly nuts if they hear a loud noise.

When we have a small number of chicks, a dozen or less, they spend the first week or two in a fish tank brooder in our living room. We call it chick'o'vision, they are more entertaining to watch than real T.V. They adapt quickly to noise and activity, though our last batch really didn't care for the Celtic punk group "Flogging Molly", but they were happy with "Gaelic Storm"
lol.png
big_smile.png
tongue.png

I have had chicks the last couple of years. I keep them in the living room. My two boys are constantly running through the house, I try to stop them but they dont seem to know. After a few days the chicks dont even notice. I vacuum and play music. I would say the worst thing for my chickens to get used to is the lawn mower. Its big and loud. But by the end of the season they realize "this is throwing grass and bugs in here!!" Now that I have seasoned chickens, the new ones shouldnt freak out either for long. They get used to noises fairly quickly. I wouldnt worry about it. Just introduce them slowly to new noises. I always tell mine "its ok" while I"m making the noise. it helps calm them.

Ours are in the sunroom and we had the TV on the western channel with all the gunshots going on. Figured they better get used to gun shots in this area!

Thank you so much everyone, I am not going to worry too much then. I figured they would be older by the time the lawn mowing season starts so they should be ok then. My vaccum is really loud so that was what I was worried about. With two dogs I could not consider not vaccuming for a month or two.It is good to know it should not bother them. The TV does get loud every once in while with Nascar. As long as they do not grow up running around and sounding like engines they should be fine.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom