is non-technologic hatching possible?

okay!
just asked cause my phoenix never sat on eggs for more than 2 days. any specific breeds that are really good for my non-technologic hatching?

Here is a list of broody breeds that I got off BYC somewhere:

old english games
kraienkoppes
malays
shamos
asils
madagascar games
silkies

However, several other breeds TEND to go broody, meaning some hens will, some won't: black australorps, cochins, buff orps, several more.

Henderson's breed chart includes inclination for broodiness:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I have three broodies right now. Blue Cochin. Black Star and a Welsummer. The Welsummer's and Blue Cochin 's eggs are hatching as I type. The Black Star hatching date is in 6 days. The chicks are soo cute. I am a first timer at this hatching thing. So far 5 chicks.

I've always preferred a broody hen to incubators. I had a flock of Silkies that I used exclusively for brooding. Nothing more beautiful than a mama hen with her babies.

My best broodies have been light Brahma and dark Cornish, but Australorps can be very good, too. Cochins, Dorkings, some EE's, and lots of bantam breeds are great moms. Bantams are nice because they're so small, they're less likely to break eggs.

I think my best ever was a little bantam mixed breed, named Mean Little Chicken. She weighed all of maybe 8 oz., and chased my 18 lb. Maine Coon cat right up the walls of the coop when he followed me in one day. He wasn't after her babies, but she wasn't about to take any chances. She'd nearly tear your hand off if you messed with her nest or her chicks. Oh, and she taught all the chicks she raised, to leap up and snatch mosquitoes out of the air, too.

I currently have 2 hens with babies, one with 2 chicks and one with 7 guineas keets, and 3 more hens brooding.

Last edited:
Well, I was told that hatchery partridge rock don't go broody... Umm evidently they didn't read that rule book to my chickens. I have two broodies on 18 eggs.

I had a first time broody silkie sit on 12 polish eggs from day 1 until hatch. 11 hatched a couple of days ago, and she is mothering them now. They are doing great.

Back
Top Bottom