Is Nutrena feed okay?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nyna, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Nyna

Nyna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    Hi! The feed store in my town only carries Nutrena feed. Is this brand an okay feed? I want to get the Layer Pellets. Has anyone had good/bad production with this?

2. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    That is a brand that we buy. It works well here, and I did read the ingredients list on Nutrena and compared it to some of the other brands of feed. It was either about the same as the other feed, or was a little better. Our chickens seem to be doing fine on it, and havent had any problems with productions with it. I would say you made a pretty good choice.

3. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    As long as you don't mind supporting a large, multi-national corporation that helps put family farmers out of business and if a large confinement producer of pigs and poultry...go right ahead...[​IMG]
    Nutrena Feeds is owned by Cargill, Inc.

If you can ever purchase feed from a cooperative in your area, it is a much better practice economically. Cooperatives are usually farmer-owned and a large percentage of their profits go back to the owner-members instead of to shareholders in the case of corporations like Cargill.

My apologies in advance if you own stock in Cargill...lol.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yeah, I'm not thrilled with Nutrena for that reason because I have a beef with Cargill over NAIS, but other than that, in my area, they put antibiotics in the chick starter in addition to Amprolium. I refused to buy it because of that.

5. xrayman

xrayman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    Central IA
    I use their feed and have never had a problem.

6. chic-o-stik

chic-o-stik New Egg

May 19, 2007
    Northeast MO.
    Thanx Mayberry for the info.. I was not aware that they are part of cargil..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by