Is one of the peachicks pied?

Yeah that pretty much is in line what I read. Good chance then momma is split and I'm not aware. The breeder didn't have too much info on history but momma doesn't have any white flight feathers as are common in splits. As days go by, it's quite appearent the chick will have a lot of white on the body. Curious how she comes out.
Check both parents real close... sometimes they only have a few white primary coverts or alula and no white primaries.
wing-feathers.jpg

My guess, from what I understand in genetics (could be wrong as I don't know if peas are different) is that some offspring would be IB and some would be IB split to white...

Split (in my experience) means it is carrying a recessive gene, takes 2 to express(or express fully?)... mama not having the recessive gene means offspring can *at most* only be splits as the daddy can only pass on that 1 recessive gene approx 50% of the time...

But I might be wrong...

You understand more than you think you do. Bravo!

Yeah that pretty much is in line what I read. Good chance then momma is split and I'm not aware. The breeder didn't have too much info on history but momma doesn't have any white flight feathers as are common in splits. As days go by, it's quite appearent the chick will have a lot of white on the body. Curious how she comes out.

A bird does not have to have visible white feathers to be a 'Dark Pied', it can be Dark Pied without a single white feather. Same with Dark Silver Pied.

You understand more than you think you do. Bravo!

Thank you, I'm trying, lol... I just know there are some differences between chicken and duck genetics, so didn't know if peas had differences too... plus I was stumped on the abbreviations... and think I just realized what all the abbreviations in your signature are.... sometimes the obvious escapes me, lol...

It appears to be IB split White.
Hello KsKingBee, I recognize your avatar pic as I asked the owner of this image if he minded that I save it? I am still thinking abour framing it if I get it printed out. SOoooooo are you in the fb group The Classy Peafowl??

Back
Top Bottom