Is one of these a rooster, or can hens crow?

The first one had a small comb, even color and no pointed saddle or hackle feathers. The hackles may look pointed but that is the coloring. The saddles are all rounded. I really don't see anything there that points to a male.

Hi everybody! Yesterday we returned our two roos (who crowed a lot) to their home farm. This morning, we heard crowing from the coop. Fully formed, loud crowing. There are 2 suspects - our Silkie mix (the black) and our Polish mix (the brown). They are around 6-7 months old. But, is it possible that they will mimic the roosters' crowing for the first few days they are gone? They were pretty attached to our roos. Pics here for if they might be roos.
Thanks!
View attachment 1781404 View attachment 1781405
View attachment 1781406 View attachment 1781407

The brown one is a Pullet. Nothing screaming male and has rounded saddle feathers. Your Silkie mix, however, is definitely a Male. He has long pointy hackle feathers and long pointy saddle feathers. He a cute little booger!

Alright, thanks! Just learned that our neighbors saw the brown one crowing. I am thinking she's a pullet too... maybe she's just a bit confused. We'll see if she stops within the next few days. I wish we could keep roos where we live, I love our little half-Silkie! Maybe if he doesn't crow... much... :fl

Sometimes the lower ranking roosters do not crow, they aren't allowed to. When the higher-ups are out of the picture, the cockerel(s) are free to crow. I think if both have been seen crowing, it is unlikely one is a pullet. Time will tell. Good luck! If not 2 boys, you will have eggs soon!

The black one looks like a rooster, and then the white one in the background kinda looks like a rooster. Maybe post pictures of that one? Can't tell for sure

Sometimes the lower ranking roosters do not crow, they aren't allowed to. When the higher-ups are out of the picture, the cockerel(s) are free to crow. I think if both have been seen crowing, it is unlikely one is a pullet. Time will tell. Good luck! If not 2 boys, you will have eggs soon!
Oh, that's interesting! Thanks! The roos we took back were definitely the higher ranking ones, so that might be why the black one just started crowing. I think it was just the black one seen crowing; they just mixed their names up when they told it to us for the first time!
The brown one is a pullet.
It has hen pattern feathering.
Ok, good to know!
The black one looks like a rooster, and then the white one in the background kinda looks like a rooster. Maybe post pictures of that one? Can't tell for sure
Okay! Good eye, the white one is a roo in the background but they're one of the boys we took back yesterday - that photo was about three days ago. You can't see very well in that photo but he had enormous silver hackle feathers, a huge, iridescent gray tail, and detailed white and red coloring on the body - he was a very colorful one!

My silkie hen has proven quite noisy - she does a scream - more of a loud drawn out cocka without the doodle doo. Started this shortly before she came into lay... and generally does it when she can see me far away from the run or heading away from the run. She did take a break when she was broody and I think she's about to start laying again soon cause she's just started screaming again. :/

Back
Top Bottom