Is open nesting box ok?

Fjb6673

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 28, 2015
Western Massachusetts
I have some wooden boxes I can get free from my work, that I think would make good nesting boxes. They are similar to apple boxes, and are 12" wide, 20" long and 12" tall, and open on top. I was going to cut out one end wall, for the hens to get in, leaving about a 3" lip at the bottom to keep in straw or shavings. My question is, is it ok to have a open top nesting box?

My other thought, is put the box on its side, so now nesting box would be 20" wide, 12" tall, and 12" deep. Now box would have a top, and side would be completely open, and I could just nail a 1x3 along the bottom to keep straw in?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I have some wooden boxes I can get free from my work, that I think would make good nesting boxes. They are similar to apple boxes, and are 12" wide, 20" long and 12" tall, and open on top. I was going to cut out one end wall, for the hens to get in, leaving about a 3" lip at the bottom to keep in straw or shavings. My question is, is it ok to have a open top nesting box?

My other thought, is put the box on its side, so now nesting box would be 20" wide, 12" tall, and 12" deep. Now box would have a top, and side would be completely open, and I could just nail a 1x3 along the bottom to keep straw in?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Put the box on its side and nail is a good idea. You can cut the wall opening shorter in height so you don't have to build a strip on the bottom.

I think you are going to end up with chicken poop in them is you don't put a sloped cover on them. The sloped roof keeps the chickens from standing on them.

Back
Top Bottom