Is OSB a safe/non-toxic material for inside of coop?

yipper

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 11, 2013
Would love to know everyones thought on this. We'd like to insulate our coop and intend on sandwiching insulation (a non-toxic styrofoam type) in between siding and OSB on the inside. I'm concerned about formaldehyde emissions from the OSB. I realize ventillation is a big factor in this concern... but we want our girls & eggs to be healthy and free of as many toxins as we can avoid. If OSB isn't a good idea, what are some other cost-effective materials we can use instead?

Really, you don't need to insulate at all. Chickens come with perfect insulation of their own, they don't need any help from us. Also, installing interior walls in a coop is not a good idea. Pests, insects or rodents, love hidden away places to set up house. Especially if it's near a food source. Interior walls in a coop, provide just the space they are looking for.
Jack

We're hoping to keep the girls laying all winter and I thought using just siding wouldn't be insulated enough. We live in Flagstaff where we can get decent amount of snow over the winter. Alternatively we were looking at using the tonge-in-groove/ship-lap boards as in the Wichita Cabin Coop plan... but we're trying to save a little $$ on the materials.

Oh, also... we were hoping to not to have to install a heat lap as I've heard the energy used monthly can be costly (Someone mentioned $30 a month in electricity). Thats why we've been looking at insulation so we can avoid wasting energy.

Searching something like "insulate coop" in the search bar near the top of this page should help you out. I'm insulating my coop because the outside is tin.

This is my uninsulated, unheated coop at the left. I get eggs all winter, in temps down into the single digits. Unless you have some kind of thinly feathered breed, chickens have no problem with cold weather. You do not need to insulate or add a heatlamp. Adding a heatlamp just runs up your electric bill, and adds an unnecessary chance for a fire.
Jack

Last edited:
It's spendy, but I am using Owen Corning Foamular 150 one inch R-5 foam board insulation (formaldehyde free) covered with one layer of Reflectix to insulate the interior of the coop. The walls stay clean and the birds aren't interested in it. The coop is built with plywood and 2 X 4's.
I have 4 bantam roosters and live in the AZ White Mountains. It gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I found windows that open on Amazon for $35 each. They have screens. Huge help with light and ventilation. Installed 8-3 inch round soffit vents.

Back
Top Bottom