1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is our chicken tractor safe??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by juliemom25, Apr 26, 2009.

1. juliemom25

juliemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    We are building a chicken tractor mainly for our meat chicks that will be butchered in a couple weeks. It is made out of 3/4" PVC piping and it will be entirely covered in galvanized metal hardware cloth. I am confident that what I am building is strong, but I worry about coons and stuff digging under the tractor at night. The designs I am using does not allow for the mesh on the bottom, but what about the critters?

Thanks! Julie

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    well I would rais it above the ground a couple feet and make the floor also from heavey welded wires, so you don't have to clean much and they are going to be eating like crazy anyway.

3. applefalls

applefalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Cockeysville, MD
    Do you have an enclosed run around the tractor?

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Mostly when people make meat-bird tractors like that, they put them inside some area where there is less chance of predators -- like protected by at least *some* sort of moderately predator-resistant fencing (often electric fencing for larger livestock).

Out by itself, it'd be a roll of the dice whether you get away with it.

I suppose you could make an apron around it, although that would make daily moves of a large tractor a bit more obnoxious.

Post on the meat bird section of the forum for more advice?

Good luck,

Pat, with 10-day old red broiler chicks in the basement right now that'll eventually end up in a tractor like yours, but inside electronet.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You could always add an apron/flange of wire, around the bottom, to prevent digging. For a tractor, I'd have each side of the apron hinged at the bottom, so you could flip it up for moving. Attaching it with something like hog rings might work as a hinge at the bottom. You'd want the sections securely attached, but with enough play that they will still be able to move. Then have some way to tie the sections up or hook them up, while moving the tractor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by