Is our coop safe from predators?

seanb

Songster
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Central PA
Based on everything I've read here, our chickens should be safe for the most part. The bottom 3 feet of the run is doubled up with 2x3" welded wire and the top is covered with brightly colored string. The pop door will be closed every night as well. Are we in good shape or is there still room for improvement?

Also, since I have electric to the coop, would a motion sensor lite discourage night time visitors such as coons and coyotes? I might install one regardless as it would give me an easier shot with the .22 mag from the bedroom window...

It's worth noting that my neighbor has 17 chickens and all he has is poultry netting 6 feet high with nothing over the top and hasn't lost any chickens so far.

Thanks for any input.

finishedcoop006.jpg

finishedcoop008.jpg

As long as you lock them in at night you should be just fine! If you want to leave the pop door open at night you will need to do some work on your run.

Looks pretty secure to me. They should fine as long as you lock them up tight in the coop every night. Make sure nothing, if it's able to squeeze in the run, can pop open the coop door. We have an extra locking latch on ours. I've read and heard coons can open just about anythiing if they really want to.
smile.png

I like your coop but string won't stop the predators. I would suggest half inch hardware cloth over the top of your run. Also might put an apron around the bottom to keep out the digging predators or you could use hot wire.

Our small hawks find their way through the string. They are pretty smart creatures. And crows definitely can get through it if you ever have baby chicks they want to nab.
For daytime use your pen is fairly secure but no matter what you do, if something wants in it can find a way.

Back
Top Bottom