Is our fence acceptable for a goat or two?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by itsy, Jun 8, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Hey ya'll. We'd love to add a couple goats to the farm, but don't want the added expense of adding fencing to our fencing. Is there any breed of goat that would be able to live within these fences with our horses?

[​IMG]

Thanks for the tips!

2. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I think they can all get out of that. Pretty horse though!

3. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

With that fence, I'm pretty sure you would have free range goats on your hands. Perhaps a small cow?

4. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    It would be so cool to have an animal to eat all of the weeds growing in the fields, though. Would a cow do that?

I wonder what I would do with said cow.

Cows and horses get along?

5. Delmar

Quote:Cows don't have the taste for bitter herbs that goats have. So not so much
    I wonder what I would do with said cow.

Cows are yummy!
    Cows and horses get along?

They should get along fine.​

6. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Cows are yummy. ha! [​IMG]

I'm taking the first step in eating my own food by having meat chickens. They arrive next week. Would I have the ability to raise a single cow and then slaughter it???? Now that would be something huge to overcome. Let's see how the meat chickens turn out first. Do people actually keep a cow or two for milk? I'd love fresh milk. ....but then, she'd have to be milked daily, no?

How I would love to have a completely self sufficient farm. ::sigh:: In the back of the last paddock is some acres of woods. I was wondering if it would be possible to raise boer goats back there if we fenced THAT off. Hmmmm......

7. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:You could put wire around the bottom part of the fence or something like that.

8. Dannee

Dannee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    I got a pigmy fainting goat for my arabian....they were so sweet together until my Arab broke its leg playing ring around the lean to....lol....Any fencing should contain them....hog wire or less.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  9. Delmar

You would have to milk her twice a day. You wold also need to have her bred since a cow won't give any milk until she has a calf. Artificial insemination would most likely be the way to go. Since it isn't practical to keep a bull for one cow. You don't want to mess with adult bulls anyway. They get dangerous before they are two years of age. You would want a small breed like a Jersey. A good Holstein will give over 80 lbs of milk/day (that's 10 gallons)

10. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Delmar, you need to come to our house and give us a seminar! [​IMG] I have so many questions!

One cow can give 10 gallons of milk A DAY?! Really!?

How long will it provide milk for? So long as you're milking it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by