Is our fence acceptable for a goat or two?

itsy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
New England
Hey ya'll. We'd love to add a couple goats to the farm, but don't want the added expense of adding fencing to our fencing. Is there any breed of goat that would be able to live within these fences with our horses?

82602_horse1.jpg

Thanks for the tips!

It would be so cool to have an animal to eat all of the weeds growing in the fields, though. Would a cow do that?

I wonder what I would do with said cow.

Cows and horses get along?

Cows are yummy. ha!
smile.png

I'm taking the first step in eating my own food by having meat chickens. They arrive next week. Would I have the ability to raise a single cow and then slaughter it???? Now that would be something huge to overcome. Let's see how the meat chickens turn out first. Do people actually keep a cow or two for milk? I'd love fresh milk. ....but then, she'd have to be milked daily, no?

How I would love to have a completely self sufficient farm. ::sigh:: In the back of the last paddock is some acres of woods. I was wondering if it would be possible to raise boer goats back there if we fenced THAT off. Hmmmm......

I got a pigmy fainting goat for my arabian....they were so sweet together until my Arab broke its leg playing ring around the lean to....lol....Any fencing should contain them....hog wire or less.

Last edited:
You would have to milk her twice a day. You wold also need to have her bred since a cow won't give any milk until she has a calf. Artificial insemination would most likely be the way to go. Since it isn't practical to keep a bull for one cow. You don't want to mess with adult bulls anyway. They get dangerous before they are two years of age. You would want a small breed like a Jersey. A good Holstein will give over 80 lbs of milk/day (that's 10 gallons)

Delmar, you need to come to our house and give us a seminar!
smile.png
I have so many questions!

One cow can give 10 gallons of milk A DAY?! Really!?

How long will it provide milk for? So long as you're milking it?

Back
Top Bottom