1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is panting a normal chick behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by krjwaj, Jul 11, 2008.

1. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    Is panting a normal chick behavior? Our little ones seem to pant (open beak, no sound) when we introduced them to the outside for the first few minutes. Is it a reaction to stress or new environment? Are they taking in the fresh air? tia

2. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    mine pant quite often when it is warmer. I wouldn't worry about it...just make sure they have access to fresh water and I like to throw frozen fruit or ice cubes out for them...they really go crazy for that. Make sure they can also get out of the direct heat; mine like to crawl under the hen house and roll in the dirt.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Yep - its just a little warm by the sounds of it, just make sure they have shade, and lots of water, they should be ok. If it gets really hot you might need to pull out bottles with ice, frozen or very cold fruit to eat etc.

4. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I live in south MS and it is so hot here. 95 degrees today. [​IMG]

I have seen one of my hens pant, but only after an injury. I would think since dogs and even humans pant when they are hot or tired this might be the cause. My hens might be more use to the heat. It is hot here from March till Novemeber.

They have a shaded area and plently of cool water. I also have given them cold watermelon and other fruits and veggs in the heat of the day. I am very careful not to give them any corn since it heats their digestive system up and makes them warmer. Good for cold weather but not so great when it is so hot.

Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by