Is panting related to niacin deficiency?

Shayrae4

Chirping
Feb 1, 2021
After observing some strange behavior, I diagnosed one of my ducklings with a niacin deficiency today. She is just over 3 weeks old. But I also noticed she’s been panting almost all day.

when I search this group, it seems everybody says panting is because they’re too hot or because their nostrils aren’t clear. She has deep enough water to clear her nostrils.
I’ve tried putting her head in the water for her to get a drink but she only takes a sip and then moves away. They are inside our 70 degree living room with a heat plate. The plate does not warm the ambient air, they have to go sit next to it to get warm. She was sitting right next to the heat plate and didn’t move for several hours (maybe cause shes reluctant to move because of her weak legs??), so I unplugged it for several hours but she was still panting.

I took them outside for a while and she seemed to stop panting, however they were outside so I didn’t observe her as diligently. We had a high of 66 degrees today. Then as soon as I brought them back inside for the night, she started panting again. I had turned the heat plate back on when I brought them in because usually they’re cold and a little wet when they come in from outside.

Anyone have any ideas of why she’s doing this? She’ll try to sleep and hang her head, but then quickly lifts her head up again and starts panting. should I turn off the heat plate for the night? Like I said, I also realized she is suffering from a niacin deficiency today and is reluctant to walk around. could this be related to the niacin deficiency?

I agree, she may be sick as I've had 3 ducks and they only pant when stressed or sick. Hope she will be okay. Do you have a vet that sees birds near by?

Panting is easy to recognize in birds, and can be differentiated from cases of dyspnea due to the obvious quick short breaths; this is in attempt to replace hot air from the body, with cool ambient air.

Pekins are large birds, and simply their own body heat can overheat them - you are just one of the few members this year that have reported this problem.

To confirm this is the case, let them outside, and watch the duck closely to see if she stops panting. If she does, I would stop providing heat, and think about adding a fan into the area to cool them down.

While there is no direct relation to a niacin deficiency, and overheating, it could cause the bird to sit down more often, and overheat easier. Exam the bird outside for any sort of foot angulation, or reluctance to walk. That can be hard to assesss in a brooder inside.

Panting is easy to recognize in birds, and can be differentiated from cases of dyspnea due to the obvious quick short breaths; this is in attempt to replace hot air from the body, with cool ambient air.

Pekins are large birds, and simply their own body heat can overheat them - you are just one of the few members this year that have reported this problem.

To confirm this is the case, let them outside, and watch the duck closely to see if she stops panting. If she does, I would stop providing heat, and think about adding a fan into the area to cool them down.

While there is no direct relation to a niacin deficiency, and overheating, it could cause the bird to sit down more often, and overheat easier. Exam the bird outside for any sort of foot angulation, or reluctance to walk. That can be hard to assesss in a brooder inside.

So you think the panting is a temperature regulation thing? Would it be because she sick, like the other commenters mentioned?

She’s outside today and still panting. It’s 61 here and feels quite hot in the direct sun. I moved their water to the shade and now she’s sitting in the water bowl. She doesn’t seem to pant while sitting in the water.

Now that I think about it, the other day she spent like 4 or 5 hours just sitting in her water bowl while outside. Even around dusk when the temps had gotten colder. Maybe that’s related?

so what do I do? I can turn the heat off and put a fan on them inside, but I can’t control the temps outside. Is she sick?

she is very reluctant to walk. I’ve already observed this. And very pigeon toed, shaky legs, sits down as often as she can, trips over herself, and has a huge side to side waddle when she walks. I started putting niacin in their water today. I’m certain of the niacin deficiency. But I know how to treat that so I’m not super concerned about that. I’m more concerned about the panting

It doesn't look like panting from overheating.
The duckling can't walk
It is shivering and breathing irregularly, but not panting.

I think the posts so far have been helpful, it is weak and might be sick.

I agree that Vitamins will help it's odds considerably but why only Niacin? I would have tipped on a thiamine deficiency myself so don't just feed Niacin.

Feed vits A,B,C,D,E,F and K and all the rest that goes with it

The duckling can't walk

I agree that Vitamins will help it's odds considerably but why only Niacin? I would have tipped on a thiamine deficiency myself so don't just feed Niacin.

Do you have a product recommendation for all these vitamins?

The duckling can't walk

Also I’m just so confused how we got to this point? Like why is she lacking vitamins? And why just one of the ducks?

i fed them manna pro duck starter for the first two weeks and then about a week and a half ago switched to purina flock raiser crumble. For the past two weeks they also go forage outside anywhere from 3-7 hours a day. I’m confused why they’re so lacking in nutrients???

sry I was just trying to help. I honestly don't know how your duckling got to this point and not the others.
Or do you mean how we got to niacin, you brought that up, I'm still unsure how that diagnosis was made too.
Ducks can get sick. Sorry I can't help more.

Back
Top Bottom