Is panting related to niacin deficiency?

Maybe just see if its to hot and that fixes it. If its not to hot then it might need a little boost. Nutritional requirements can vary within a breed due to genetics. Its pretty common for some ducks to be fine and others to have nutritional issues.

Liquid baby vitamins work, you can get a poultry pre mix also, which is farm speak for multi vitamin for birds. Then electrolyte formulas like save a chick. I usualy give my little ones a light dose of vitamins in addition to their feed. Dont go overboard because some you can overdose.

After observing some strange behavior, I diagnosed one of my ducklings with a niacin deficiency today. She is just over 3 weeks old. But I also noticed she’s been panting almost all day.

when I search this group, it seems everybody says panting is because they’re too hot or because their nostrils aren’t clear. She has deep enough water to clear her nostrils.
I’ve tried putting her head in the water for her to get a drink but she only takes a sip and then moves away. They are inside our 70 degree living room with a heat plate. The plate does not warm the ambient air, they have to go sit next to it to get warm. She was sitting right next to the heat plate and didn’t move for several hours (maybe cause shes reluctant to move because of her weak legs??), so I unplugged it for several hours but she was still panting.

I took them outside for a while and she seemed to stop panting, however they were outside so I didn’t observe her as diligently. We had a high of 66 degrees today. Then as soon as I brought them back inside for the night, she started panting again. I had turned the heat plate back on when I brought them in because usually they’re cold and a little wet when they come in from outside.

Anyone have any ideas of why she’s doing this? She’ll try to sleep and hang her head, but then quickly lifts her head up again and starts panting. should I turn off the heat plate for the night? Like I said, I also realized she is suffering from a niacin deficiency today and is reluctant to walk around. could this be related to the niacin deficiency?
Hey! I have a jumbo size young Pekin gorgeous female and I assumed she pants because it’s the desert here, already hot and she is boat size etc etc but today I picked her up - only because I like to take a look at her closer sometimes- eyes; nostrils etc; she had some light feathers on her bill -As I take those Out I look through her nostrils-they have to give you a completely unobstructed view- but I find a small feather.. so I had to get it and she was a lot happier after for the time being - maybe just till the next self-pruning; cleaning and water splashing, head- diving vigorous baths she likes to take:)

After observing some strange behavior, I diagnosed one of my ducklings with a niacin deficiency today. She is just over 3 weeks old. But I also noticed she’s been panting almost all day.

when I search this group, it seems everybody says panting is because they’re too hot or because their nostrils aren’t clear. She has deep enough water to clear her nostrils.
I’ve tried putting her head in the water for her to get a drink but she only takes a sip and then moves away. They are inside our 70 degree living room with a heat plate. The plate does not warm the ambient air, they have to go sit next to it to get warm. She was sitting right next to the heat plate and didn’t move for several hours (maybe cause shes reluctant to move because of her weak legs??), so I unplugged it for several hours but she was still panting.

I took them outside for a while and she seemed to stop panting, however they were outside so I didn’t observe her as diligently. We had a high of 66 degrees today. Then as soon as I brought them back inside for the night, she started panting again. I had turned the heat plate back on when I brought them in because usually they’re cold and a little wet when they come in from outside.

Anyone have any ideas of why she’s doing this? She’ll try to sleep and hang her head, but then quickly lifts her head up again and starts panting. should I turn off the heat plate for the night? Like I said, I also realized she is suffering from a niacin deficiency today and is reluctant to walk around. could this be related to the niacin deficiency?
Hi, I know this post in a few months old but I have a Pekin duckling doing the same thing. She's panting and having trouble walking. Did you ever figure out what was wrong? The vet doesn't seem to have answers.

Hi, I know this post in a few months old but I have a Pekin duckling doing the same thing. She's panting and having trouble walking. Did you ever figure out what was wrong? The vet doesn't seem to have answers.
I’m no expert but I just decided the panting was from being hot. She definitely had a niacin deficiency but I don’t think the panting had anything to do with that. I took out their heat plate.

Back
Top Bottom