Is processing a rooster any different than processing a hen

Mr chicken dude

Songster
10 Years
Nov 7, 2009
VA
So my rooster attacking me is definitely wearing thin so, I'm thinking about processing him but I every video I watch their processing hens. I'm wondering if there is any difference between the butchering procedure of a hen and rooster. Do you butcher a rooster differently .

Also what would be the quickest/most humane way to do it.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Collin.

Last edited:
Yes, processing a mean rooster is always easier than processing a hen (unless she is a real pill)!! The peace and quiet afterwards is wonderful.

You need to use a method you feel confident about. I just hold them in a towel over a log while hubby chops off the head for me. (Point body downward immediately after chopping - so blood doesn't get everywhere.) Yes, it is bloody, but I'm sure it was quick.

Check out this link, Colin - Another method of doing the deed is shown. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=109583

Either
way - do what is comfortable to you.

Good luck
smile.png

We usually slit their throat so the blood doesn't pool back into the body. Some say that chopping off the head pinches the artery so the blood pools back into the body. My husband's favorite way is to put them on a lasso about 3 feet from him and use his sharp katana so it is quick but it is messy. The blood drains very quickly this way. Again, what you are comfortable doing.

Back
Top Bottom