Is Quail fluffing up normal behavior or sign of a problem?

mschickychick

Songster
11 Years
Jan 2, 2009
Mississippi
Hi I'm new to quail. Everything I know is from reading Monarc's tutorial. Thank you Monarc. I got 10 babies in April 8th. They all seem happy and healthy and I have paired them up as I have 5 each sex. One female blows up (fluffs her feathers) when I walk up to the cage and walks up to me when I open the door. I didn't know if it was threatening mode but when I pet her she deflates. Is this normal or a sign of some problem. I feed them gamebird starter with, I believe, 30% protein and occasionally give them boiled egg. She lays an egg a day. She seems very content with her cage and mate. They are housed on wire. I have a tub of sand in their cage for them to dust bathe in.

Here is a picture of her sitting in a gallon ice cream tub feeder and the next picture is me petting her and her deflating.
IMG_2324s.jpg

IMG_2326s.jpg

And while I'm at it here is her mate.
IMG_2328s.jpg

Thanks for any input. She reminds me of a broody hen somewhat!

yep i agree with shelley i actually have it on video somewhere i think they do it to look bigger than they really are "look at me im poofy stay away!"

btw your roo is gorgeous! He's not your average golden i'd like to see what my friend ironsun says about him......If you see this ironsun, what do you think about the color on that roo normal or is it something else? Either way pretty!

Thanks so much for your help. I was afraid something was wrong.

I would love to post pictures of the rest if you would tell me their colors. I have no clue. It's so confusing but I'm trying to learn.

I hatched my first quail eggs the 10th of this month from the group I have. I think I have some tuxedo's in there.

I didn't know quail could be so fun. I don't know what I would do without the great information ya'll have posted here.

Thanks again.

Quote:
I would LOVE to see them and help you out any way i can
big_smile.png
if you dont post them tonight I duno if i'll be on tomorrow for them but others will be im sure to help !
big_smile.png

I need to get some decent pictures. The ones I have are out of focus, through wire and half hidden. I'll try to get some better ones tomorrow if the quail will cooperate.

How in the world are you able to hold the quail and take their picture? Mine squirm so that I have to have 2 hands to hold them.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom