Is raising and selling pheasants a good hobby?

bridgetchicken

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
I really like pheasants and I want to start a hobby raising and selling them. I found that I can order pheasant chicks from Macfarlane Pheasants Inc. I can order a minimum of ten chicks.

However before I order them, what is the likelihood that other people will buy Ringneck Pheasants from me? I don’t want to be stuck with so many birds. Is listing ringnecks on Craigslist a good way to gain customers?

I live in California in the SF Bay Area. Are there people in this region who are into pheasants?

And if nobody wants my pheasants my other alternative is to sell them at a very low price or maybe even free.

Any suggestions?

All of your questions are a real possibility!
Unless you are a ' MacFarlanes' the chances of making a profit is pretty remote. You may sell a few but it's not going to even pay the feed bill.
Most breeders raise pheasants (all species included here) for the beauty of the birds or to keep pure lines of breeding stock for future generations to enjoy.
It's one of those hobbies that is a 'money pit', in general, :(

I raise hundreds of pheasants and quail. I raise them to keep pure lines available for those who want to do the same....I sell most of what I hatch each year but occasionally I get stuck having to house and feed those birds for longer than was expected...$$$$
I don't have many pairs or trios of the Common Ringnecked pheasants....they just don't sell well here, I do have many of the other 'True pheasants' (Mongolian, Persian, Versicolor, etc) but I raise them because very few people raise them here in the States and they are becoming 'threatend' in their countries of origin.
I raise them to keep pure lines,....the common ringnecked pheasant has so many different species of other true pheasants in their lineage, it's hard to say for sure what the bird is!!!

Anyway, it's a fun hobby, as far as hobbies go! If you sell a few along the way, good, but don't plan on making a living raising pheasants.

All of your questions are a real possibility!
Unless you are a ' MacFarlanes' the chances of making a profit is pretty remote. You may sell a few but it's not going to even pay the feed bill.
Most breeders raise pheasants (all species included here) for the beauty of the birds or to keep pure lines of breeding stock for future generations to enjoy.
It's one of those hobbies that is a 'money pit', in general, :(

I raise hundreds of pheasants and quail. I raise them to keep pure lines available for those who want to do the same....I sell most of what I hatch each year but occasionally I get stuck having to house and feed those birds for longer than was expected...$$$$
I don't have many pairs or trios of the Common Ringnecked pheasants....they just don't sell well here, I do have many of the other 'True pheasants' (Mongolian, Persian, Versicolor, etc) but I raise them because very few people raise them here in the States and they are becoming 'threatend' in their countries of origin.
I raise them to keep pure lines,....the common ringnecked pheasant has so many different species of other true pheasants in their lineage, it's hard to say for sure what the bird is!!!

Anyway, it's a fun hobby, as far as hobbies go! If you sell a few along the way, good, but don't plan on making a living raising pheasants.
Thank you. Yes I am not relying on this hobby for money. I just like the raising and taking care of them. Thanks!

I just moved out of the SF Bay Area, but I lived there for over 50 years. If there is a market for pheasants, you might have a good thing going. I rarely if ever saw ads on craigslist for them, and that's where I got most of my buyers for my quail.

When I started raising quail, I was one of very few sources for them, so they sold quite well. Pheasants are a much higher price point, but the SF Bay Area has plenty of affluent people. The problem is that it is also very urban, so most people who may have space for quail won't have space for pheasants.

I would check with your local 4H clubs to see if there is a market there.

Back
Top Bottom