1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is rice safe?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by psimek, Jul 20, 2007.

1. psimek

psimek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2007
    Is it safe to feed chickens rice? I almost gave them some cooked leftover rice, but remembered that rice expands.

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I feed mine cooked rice they love it. Plus any left overs I have at the end of the day.

3. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens love RICE and pasta and mashed potatoes and any leftovers...well...except most cooked veggies!

Sandra

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

My chickens LOVE cooked rice. Well...they seem to love everything....I think they are chicken/pigs. LOL

5. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    we had this discussion when i first joined. i think most said cooked rice not uncooked [​IMG]

6. natchlaly

natchlaly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    east yorkshire UK
    when rice is cooked it has absorbed the water it is cooked in so it will not expand any further it as absolutly fine

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    My peeps love leftovers, even cooked veggies. In fact, they seem to prefer cooked corn on the cob leftovers to the raw cobs I have after de-cobbing cream corn.

I love to give them leftover spaghetti noodles. The resulting game of keep-away as they try to slurp up the noodle is hysterical!

I thought it had been proven that uncooked rice doesn't even hurt wild birds?

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Cooked rice is good. It is uncooked grains that you need to keep away from the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by