Is RIR going to lay?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by deweyprimjosiedelilah, Aug 16, 2011.

1. deweyprimjosiedelilah

deweyprimjosiedelilah Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    My 16 week old rhode island red (who has never layed before) has just sung the "egg song". I'm pretty new to the whole chicken thing, but I thought that chickens only sang that song AFTER they layed an egg, and I cant find an egg (or something that resembles an egg [​IMG] ) anywhere in the coop. Is the egg song exclusive for after egg laying meaning I should look a little harder or could this "buk buk buk buk BAGAAACK" mean she is just going to lay soon?

Thanks! -Dewey's owner

2. Chicky Chick Mama

Chicky Chick Mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    western kentucky
    We got our first RIR egg at 18 weeks. It was tiny, and cute, and they are just now getting regular in the laying (24 weeks). But, as far as singing the egg song, I hear it from roosters, too, so it isn't always about eggs. Sometimes they just seem to want to make noise and they've also done it when they see my cat roaming around. It shouldn't be long now, though.

3. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Sometimes they practice before laying. Bok.

4. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    My DD talks to the girls if they sing the song without an egg she tells them they have to save the song until they are ready to lay an egg. After they lay they can sing the song so everyone will know what a good job they did. She is 11 & she sounds so serious when she tells them they have to wait until it is really their turn to sing the song!

I have a rir that sings the song as she waits her turn for her favorite nesting box. Every chicken is different. Some never sing the song.

5. emrys

emrys Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Egg song doesn't always mean she layed an egg. Sometimes it means "Get your fluffy but out of my nest!" Other times it can mean "What are you looking at lady? Can't you see I need privacy?

6. deweyprimjosiedelilah

deweyprimjosiedelilah Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    My chicken is 16 weeks old and not yet laying. In this case, would the egg song most likely mean she is going to lay soon or could it still just be anything!

7. FiFiFeather

FiFiFeather Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    North Washtenaw County
    Isn't 16 weeks for RIR early? I thought they laid around 20-23 weeks.

8. Chickenfarmer 1-2-b

Chickenfarmer 1-2-b Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    My RIR did not start laying until she was about 6 mths old. Most of my hens sing the song 2-4 weeks prior to the 1st egg.

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My RIR just laid her first egg two days ago at 23 weeks old. She sung the egg song pretty early though. At least a month ago.

10. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by