Is Safeguard Safe For 13-Week Old Chicklets?

Farmgirl1878

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 17, 2017
Piketon, Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
I just saw a roundworm in one of my hen‘s poop (shudder!!!). I’m pretty sure whoever pooped it out got it from an earthworm as it’s been a wet year so far and they all gobble up the goodies whenever they are out in the chicken yard with me. They are all in the middle of a molt, so everyone looks pretty straggly and they all are pooping watery poop because it’s been so hot and humid. Everyone is eating well and drinking normally, but they are cranky and not laying as often as when they’re not molting. My 14 member flock is made up of 10 adult hens of various breeds (EEers, Salmon Faverolles, Cochins, etc.) that range in size and weight from five or six pounds to over nine. Five of the ten are just over a year old and five are over four years old. Four of them are chicks that are 13-weeks old (2 Salmon Faverolles, one Barnevelder, and one Partridge Cochin). The chicks are in the midst of their first juvenile molt, but haven’t lost too many feathers yet.

I want to treat the flock with Safeguard in their water, but the four 13-week olds are fully integrated into the flock. I don’t have the ability to segregate them. Is it safe to treat everyone with the chicklets using the same waterers? And, is there a withdrawal period for using the eggs?

F229C982-89B1-4F84-860C-AD1EC4FE9953.jpeg

36550BAA-79FC-46FB-B33F-F986592AEECC.jpeg

Safeguard in their water
Safeguard is not meant be diluted in water. It is not miscible in water.
And fenbendazole is not recommended for use during feather growth as there is some evidence it can affect the incoming feather formation.
I would deworm with piperazine instead.
You could probably get the job done with a bottle of this.
For this concentration, 1.5 tsp/5# bird would be the center of the dosage range for piperazine in chickens. Repeat after 7 to 10 days.
It will only treat round worms.

Safeguard is not meant be diluted in water. It is not miscible in water.
And fenbendazole is not recommended for use during feather growth as there is some evidence it can affect the incoming feather formation.
I would deworm with piperazine instead.
You could probably get the job done with a bottle of this.
For this concentration, 1.5 tsp/5# bird would be the center of the dosage range for piperazine in chickens. Repeat after 7 to 10 days.
It will only treat round worms.
@DobieLover, how about ivermectin? I have that on hand.

Back
Top Bottom