Is scratch ok?

chknman79

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Crossville,TN
I have 17 chickens that are 12 weeks old and 11 that are 8.5 weeks old. I have been taking a couple scoops of scratch and spreading it in their run about twice a week. I have starter in a feeder for them free choice 24/7 so is the scratch ok? I do it because there is not alot fo grass left in the run and they need to scratch and peck. I have not seen much of a reduction in the amount of starter they are eating because of this. Just wondered. I guess I could just spread feed like I have the scratch instead if it aint good for them.

It should be fine for them as long as its just for the occasional treat. Just remember that scratch is only about 8% protein and mostly corn and millet which isnt really nutritionally sound. but the way your doing it seems fine to me. i give mine (4 pullets)about a handful a day or so and i think they think that its like crack to them.

HI there, usually in the warmer months I don't offer any scratch to my chickens. Along with what ThunderStruck said, corn is better given when it's winter time beacause it makes the chickens hot, I don't know exactly why maybe because of the starch in it??? Maybe someone can explain that to ya better than me.Anyways, I don't think it'll hurt them just in small amounts.
Miriam

Back
Top Bottom