Is separating a duckling from its mom mean?

TheDuckHabitat

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2022
Hello everyone! So i need some advice. I raised 4 ducklings last year that we kept inside for a long time, when we found out they were 3 males, we adopted 5 more rescues. So we have quite a few running around the yard. They're free range, as our area is pretty safe from predators. They have a semi large fenced in area that we put them in at night or if we will be gone for awhile. I guess i should have expected it, but found 2 baby ducklings running out from the under the porch 😍. Took them inside the first night out of shock, but yesterday was letting them run around with mommy duck and the others. They were doing really good, she was being protective, but a crow came down and got one. I was traumatized! So I kept the other in the house over night and reinforced the pen so it can't get out. But!! Now it just keeps crying for its mom and she just wants to run around and swim and not stay close to the cage. So i made a smaller pen in the grass so she could be closer, but the baby just keeps chirping for mom. So, should I keep the baby inside my house all alone, or outside in the pen? I tried locking mom in the cage with the ducklings but she wasn't too happy about that.

Also, just found 2 other ducks nesting, so I'm assuming I'm going to be dealing with this again very soon.

All help and advice appreciated

Attachments

• 20220614_171733.jpg
    20220614_171733.jpg
    926.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220614_220415.jpg
    20220614_220415.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220615_122518.jpg
    20220615_122518.jpg
    745.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I have call ducks, and while they are great brooders of eggs, they are not the best mothers after the ducklings hatch. Most of the time I take the ducklings and raise them in a brooder until they are big enough to go outside.

However, it is not a good idea to have a duckling by itself. Can you buy another duckling to raise with it. Even a chick will do.

Or, if the cage is big enough, put Mom with the duckling and let her be unhappy for a time. Ducklings, at just a week of age, can get by without a mom-they grow that fast; especially when the weather is warm.

I have a dozen call ducklings in the house that will soon be a week old at which point they will join the older ducklings outside to free range.

I place fences around my broody ducks. These fences are inside the night duck fence. When the babies hatch the ducklings are out of reach of the drakes and can not free range to the pond. I have noticed that my moms continue to sit on the nesting spots while the ducklings are out exploring their pen.

I’ve lost ducklings to predators also, but not to crows! That’s crazy, I’m so sorry that happened.

I agree with @nchls school , I’d lock the baby in with mom and let her be unhappy for a little while. It won’t take long for the duckling to be more independent, and get large enough that a crow won’t be able to take it.

But I will also say with your others now nesting, be cautious with your drakes especially. Drakes can be mean to babies, though I rarely have an issue with my drakes and babies. The moms usually lay down the law, but ducklings like to explore, so there is always a risk. Multiple moms can also have spats over babies. Some are better than others. I always say every flock is different, so it’s just a situation you will have to monitor.

Have you candled the eggs in the other nests?

Back
Top Bottom