Is she a black australorp?

KimKat33

Songster
Mar 7, 2020
Colorado
So when I first got my chicks, I ended up with a mystery chick. I thought for sure it was a black australorp, especially as it grew up. But I have noticed that its earlobes (i think?) are white. I thought they were supposed to be black? Could this be bad genetics or is it something else? The chick came from hoovers hatchery.
DSCF0462.JPG DSCF0911.JPG

Interesting bird!

She should have red ear lobes if australorp. Her comb looks off too.....is it a double comb? I cannot place her comb type.....

What color are the bottoms of her feet? Her legs?
Is she laying yet? If so what color eggs?

I wonder if she is some special cross they are doing like the starlight green layer thing.(not thinking that IS what she is) Just saying they have some specialty crosses these days.

To be honest, I have no idea what comb it is. I could try to take better photos tomorrow (as they are put to bed for the day lol) But here she is next to my black australorp rooster? As for the eggs, I believe shes one of my tan layers, but most of my flock ended up laying all around the same time, so I am not sure. Every now and then I get a brown speckled egg though?
If it helps I have americanas (which are easter eggers??) a sapphire gem, a Rhode island red, a light brahma, a buff brahma, and a barred rock. DSCF0399.JPG
Edit: they look like they are doing the power couple pose. :lol:

The grey chicken is labeled as a Sapphire Gem by the hatchery. My mystery chicken came in with that bunch and looked different even as a chick. I wasnt actually supposed to end up with Mystery but I took her to see what she was lol.
Thank you! They are such pretty little things!

Back
Top Bottom