Is she a he?

In total? No.... Typically a single rooster needs 6-10 females

This is what I feared. I can't have any more chickens, so I thought of leaving one of the roosters in the main coop with the 4 females and the other one in a separate coop. Maybe let them be in the main coop by "turns". What do you guys think about this idea?

However, my flock mostly use their coop to sleep because they normally free range during the day, I plan on keeping an eye on them to intervene if the roosters have a fight or harass the ladies too much, but I've been told that if they're loose, the harassment won't be too hard because there's plenty of space for the ladies to run and hide. Is this true?

This is what I feared. I can't have any more chickens, so I thought of leaving one of the roosters in the main coop with the 4 females and the other one in a separate coop. Maybe let them be in the main coop by "turns". What do you guys think about this idea?

However, my flock mostly use their coop to sleep because they normally free range during the day, I plan on keeping an eye on them to intervene if the roosters have a fight or harass the ladies too much, but I've been told that if they're loose, the harassment won't be too hard because there's plenty of space for the ladies to run and hide. Is this true?
With so few females to argue about, I believe your cockerels will end up fighting if their both loose. Cockerels and roosters fight over females and resources. Whoever is subservient could end up living peacefully, but that's usually with a larger flock. The dominant one would end up trying to drive him away as a threat to his ability to breed and get his genetics in the next generation. Otherwise, he could kill him. Roosters and cockerels have been known to fight to the death.

With so few females to argue about, I believe your cockerels will end up fighting if their both loose. Cockerels and roosters fight over females and resources. Whoever is subservient could end up living peacefully, but that's usually with a larger flock. The dominant one would end up trying to drive him away as a threat to his ability to breed and get his genetics in the next generation. Otherwise, he could kill him. Roosters and cockerels have been known to fight to the death.

Ok, then I'll keep them separated even when they're loose. So far they're fine, but I guess it's because they haven't reached full maturity. The Plymouth Rock barely crowed the other morning and never again...

If I were you I wouldn't do anything at this point. Wait and see if a problem develops, and if it does, then put your plan in motion. The roosters may just get along. Often really big roosters like your NH are docile and are happy being the second stringer in a flock.

If I were you I wouldn't do anything at this point. Wait and see if a problem develops, and if it does, then put your plan in motion. The roosters may just get along. Often really big roosters like your NH are docile and are happy being the second stringer in a flock.

Actually, we thought he was a hen because he acts like a hen. He follows the Barred Rock rooster like the ladies, and rarely goes his own way when they free range. I never saw him "deciding" where to go, except when there's food involved —then he's the first one to come. But overall I've only seen him "mistreat" the Rhode Island ladies, who are almost the same age but much smaller in size, so they're way down in the hierarchy and they're not allowed to eat until everybody else does, poor ladies.

I find your words very soothing, and yes, I'm kind of hopeful they'll still get along when they'll fully grow up, but I also want to sleep in peace... I had a rooster in the past who pecked a hen to death very early in the morning, while I was still sleeping, and I don't want to wake up to another "crime scene" ever again. So... would it "harm" the roosters' relationship in some way if I separate them, at least when they're not being supervised?

Actually, we thought he was a hen because he acts like a hen. He follows the Barred Rock rooster like the ladies, and rarely goes his own way when they free range. I never saw him "deciding" where to go, except when there's food involved —then he's the first one to come. But overall I've only seen him "mistreat" the Rhode Island ladies, who are almost the same age but much smaller in size, so they're way down in the hierarchy and they're not allowed to eat until everybody else does, poor ladies.

I find your words very soothing, and yes, I'm kind of hopeful they'll still get along when they'll fully grow up, but I also want to sleep in peace... I had a rooster in the past who pecked a hen to death very early in the morning, while I was still sleeping, and I don't want to wake up to another "crime scene" ever again. So... would it "harm" the roosters' relationship in some way if I separate them, at least when they're not being supervised?

The NH might start getting cocky when he realizes the other rooster isn't around. If that happens, they will fight. But that isn't a problem if they are kept separate. Considering the past incident that is causing you concern, I would go ahead and do it.

Can the birds see each other in these separate coops? If so, then they shouldn't get too lonely, but the BR is not going to like seeing the NH alone with his ladies. I guess just take it as it goes and see what works and what doesn't work.

4 females... Is that ok?
With only 4 hens and no possibility for more, you need to rehome one of the cockerels/roosters, as it would be abuse for the hens to keep them both.

The ration 1.4 is already hard on the hens, but 2.4 is not tolerable as each rooster will instigate the other to mate much more than they ususally would if kept alone with the 4 hens.
They will start a mating marathon.

I would keep the one the hens prefer, which would be the Plymouth Rock if I read you right: NH mix big bully keeping the hens from feed instead of calling them to feed.

Last edited:
You could do a 1:2 ratio and have two separate pens if you don't want to get rid of a rooster, it would work, I do it here with my chickens. If you let them out, alternate which pen is let out each day

The NH might start getting cocky when he realizes the other rooster isn't around. If that happens, they will fight. But that isn't a problem if they are kept separate. Considering the past incident that is causing you concern, I would go ahead and do it.

Can the birds see each other in these separate coops? If so, then they shouldn't get too lonely, but the BR is not going to like seeing the NH alone with his ladies. I guess just take it as it goes and see what works and what doesn't work.

What if the NH is alone and the BR stays with the ladies in the coop? They can see each other in the separate coops, NH wouldn't be lonely, and BR wouldn't hate him for being alone with his ladies. Although NH wouldn't have the chance to mate... unless I let him out?

These days I've noticed certain jealousy because of ME. The BR pecked the NH so that he could be the first to approach me. Does this mean something?

NH mix big bully keeping the hens from feed instead of calling them to feed.

They both do that with the Rhode Islands, tho. Only with them. And none of the roosters call the other hens to feed —they let them eat, but if they can steal the treats from them, they do it unhesitatingly. However, I'd say the hens like them both, overall:

7b7b4b2f-dea4-484c-b4d9-cc952e2cf309.jpg

I had already thought about the abuse it could mean for the hens, that's why I know I want to separate the roosters even if they seem to get along with each other. I just want to find the best way of doing it so that they all can live as peacefully as possible.

Rehoming is the last resource.

These days I've noticed certain jealousy because of ME. The BR pecked the NH so that he could be the first to approach me. Does this mean something?
The BR is exerting his dominance over the NH mix.

What if the NH is alone and the BR stays with the ladies in the coop? They can see each other in the separate coops, NH wouldn't be lonely, and BR wouldn't hate him for being alone with his ladies. Although NH wouldn't have the chance to mate... unless I let him out?
Usually, separating cockerels or roosters from each other and thus preventing continuous contact and interaction, will lead to enormous amounts of stress in both, the separated and the one remaining with the hens.
The separated will try everything to get back to his flock pacing up and down the fences of his enclosure and flying up until exhaustion, while the other will pace as well to put the agitated one in his place and prevent him from coming back.

And finally, the idea of alternating the cockerels/roosters will stress the hens, as each cockerel/rooster will start a mating marathon as soon as he "finally" gets the chance to do so.

The best solution for all your chickens would be rehoming the surplus male to where he can have his own flock of hens.

Back
Top Bottom