Is SHE a HE

I hope I have 5 other hens. I live out of city limits so no problem with that. I do not want to make baby chicks anytime soon. We are still trying to get our coop finished. Do I need to keep them seperated? Will he be a trouble maker. Not sure if he can be seperated. He is a big baby away from the others. That should have been my first clue to a male.

You will only be 'making babies' if you incubate the eggs. Fertile eggs are perfectly safe to eat. It takes a few days of being kept at about 100 degrees for development to even start.

Also, the little blood spots in eggs are not from being fertilized--that's a different issue with the hen. You will never know the difference between fertile and unfertilized eggs unless you know the specific thing to look for (a slight difference in a small white spot).

I personally process most cockerels--they harass the pullets/hens, they ruin the feathers on pullets/hens (especially if you only have a few), and they're noisy. I have one Chantecler rooster right now that I like enough to keep around--however, they rarely make it to 16-weeks around me.

Back
Top Bottom