is she a ROOSTER????!!! Need to know now!!!

sad.png
that explains it then. thanks! i won't be breeding him anyways with that beak, but i've got a whole pen full of mutts so they don't bother me! the only problem is no roosters allowed at my house, so i've got to keep him out with my other ones, and he has such a hard time eating, that's why he's been here...
hmm.png
he'll be a good one to stash with my little bantam frizzle cochin tho, she lives by herself wince everyone pulls her feathers out... he won't be able to with that beak!

Awww. He's pretty anyway. Welcome to the deformed rooster club. I accidently got one myself. (see below thread) They do tug on the heartstrings. Does yours cock-a-doodle-doo?

OH YES. We invented a new game today, i leave him outside (away from me) and he crows until i come back. and since we're not allowed to have roosters here... I have to go get him. right now he's in a dog crate in my room covered in blankets- night time noah!!!!! LOL. gotta get him out of here quick before my neighbors call the cops.

Quote:
Ah, that is the key to your questions. Your 'breeder' doesn't know what he/she is talking about if they are trying to breed SLs to get SLs.

SLs are a one-time cross of two purebred birds. It's a manipulation of genetics that does not carry through down the line if bred agian. When you breed a SL to an SL, you get a whooooole lot of mixed genetic hodgepodge that is unpredictable, and the colors will not at all be sex-linked.

I would recommend to never get sex-links anywhere but a hatchery, because it's their specialty, and a lot of 'breeders' don't understand that they are not working with a breed, but rather a one time hybrid.

I'm sorry that this happened to you. He's a beautiful bird, but he is officially a mutt with unpredictable genetics. I wouldn't recommend trying to breed him anyway though, because his deformity can be inherited and lethal within several generations.

Don't buy from that guy/girl again, they're uneducated and producing lethal genes in their lines.

Great explanation! I see folks breeding sex-links to each other alot, I may copy this for them to read.

Back
Top Bottom