Is she broody or just lazy?

silkiechick05

Songster
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
North Texas
My silkie hen (keep reading, I know they are broody all the time!) sits in the coop all day laying down. But when I let the flock out, including her, it is like the spell is broken and she goes about her normal chicken business, broodiness gone. When I put them back in the run, she goes straight to the ladder and into the coop to lay down.

So, the burning question, is she broody or lazy?

I vote, Broody! Mine do the same thing, especially if they aren't sitting on eggs. I think they know they are sitting on air..
big_smile.png

See that's the thing. She has no eggs; she stopped laying. Even when my BR was laying, she wouldn't lay on any of her eggs. Or her own for that matter. I think she's a dumb broody. It's been going on for about a week...

Quote:
lau.gif
it's always the ditsy ones that go broody! LOL Give her some golf balls or wooden eggs and see if it lasts, if a week goes by and she is still mothering the golf balls, try giving her some fertile eggs.

Quote:
lau.gif
it's always the ditsy ones that go broody! LOL Give her some golf balls or wooden eggs and see if it lasts, if a week goes by and she is still mothering the golf balls, try giving her some fertile eggs.

LOL she really is dumb. My other pullet is even dumber and wont even eat grass. It is just so hot right now, I am worried about her over heating if I give her eggs.

I had a broody on the middle of July and it was HOT! She did fine and hatched out two, but we checked her several times a day and hand fed her plumb and watermelon and made she she got up for water. But if you are really worried, go with your gut
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom