Is she broody?

Ok I'm a little confused now because she has been doing everything a broody would but now she has been out of the nesting box for 45 ish minutes

Ok I'm a little confused now because she has been doing everything a broody would but now she has been out of the nesting box for 45 ish minutes
Broody hens will leave the nest to eat and drink for a while. Unless she goes back to the nest today, and sits for a long time, she is not broody.

so, just watch her. If she does not go back to the nest to sit on her eggs (and sits for a long time) she was just wanting some privacy to lay or something 😀

If she goes back and sits on the nest again today, and tomorrow, even though she already laid her egg, she is broody.
If she doesn’t go back at all today, she is not broody.

Basically, just keep an eye on her, and monitor her behavior for the next few days. If she goes back again and again to the nest, for days on end, she is probably broody.

Hope this helps!

She is defiantly broody then.
The reason she is ‘screaming and puffing up’ is to ‘protect’ her eggs.
Another thing a non-broody hen will do.

These are my go-to signs of a broody:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Back
Top Bottom