Is she egg bound?

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
I've never seen this before. Sammy is a RIR and a little over two years old. I haven't seen her lay an egg for a few weeks. If she has she's hiding them somewhere. Today I watched her crouch down as she's walking like she's waiting for a rooster to mount her.

If she's egg bound should I wait until the morning to do something? They're getting ready to roost and I don't want to stress her out but not sure if I should wait.

Strange! Never really seen anything like that before.
I don't think she's eggbound, as she'd probably be lethargic and look sick. I also don't think she's crouching down to be mounted.
For now, I would just monitor her. I don't think its much of a concern unless she get's worse.

What's her diet?

What do you feed, including treats?

I'd get some Extra Calcium into her asap. Calcium Citrate if you have it or a TUMS will work too.
Look her over for lice/mites, check her crop - while you are checking her out, see if she's molting.

Is she eating/drinking o.k.?

What do you feed, including treats?

I'd get some Extra Calcium into her asap. Calcium Citrate if you have it or a TUMS will work too.
Look her over for lice/mites, check her crop - while you are checking her out, see if she's molting.

Is she eating/drinking o.k.?
I give them chick feed since we have some chicks and about two handfuls of scratch grains daily for 9 chickens. Also blackberries, watermelon, cucumbers, yogurt and lettuce. I try and alternate the treats and not give them too much at once so today I only gave them a little bit of scratch grain and lettuce. Sometimes they do get a lot of watermelon and blackberries though.

She's eating and drinking normally. I just checked her and I don't see lice or mites. I also gave her a calcium pill. She could be molting since she molted around this time last year I think.

I have had hens that walk funny when they are molting, it seems to me that the lack of a full feather cover somehow messes up with their balance. I don't see your hen missing feathers though, look for bare spots that will give you a clue. We are on molting season after all.

I'd bet she has a softie moving down the pike, they can act pretty weird then,
and odd eggs are common as production ramps down for the molt.
I'd lean toward that too since she's not molting.
Hopefully the calcium will get that moving.

I have had hens walk a little strange like something is poking them (like when you have when you walk through briars and get hung up) when they are in (obvious) molt, this action was probably actually due to a feather poking or irritating them though.

I'd lean toward that too since she's not molting.
Hopefully the calcium will get that moving.

I have had hens walk a little strange like something is poking them (like when you have when you walk through briars and get hung up) when they are in (obvious) molt, this action was probably actually due to a feather poking or irritating them though.
Hopefully. I just crushed some calcium into her yogurt today. Hopefully it'll help. I noticed she was the last to roost. I wasn't sure if she was struggling to fly up there but I helped her up.

Hopefully. I just crushed some calcium into her yogurt today. Hopefully it'll help. I noticed she was the last to roost. I wasn't sure if she was struggling to fly up there but I helped her up.
How much is "some" Calcium?
I'd aim for 600mg Calcium Citrate with D3 daily for a week. Just pop the pill directly into her beak and let her swallow.

Back
Top Bottom