Sep 14, 2018
South MS
Hey guys, my 2 year old nanny has been acting strange lately I know she should be getting close to kidding
(her first time) but I don't know when exactly she was bred. I think she may be having contractions because she will stretch her neck back and roll on the ground and paws at it a lot.she doesn't have any discharge but her bag is full. She is also favoring her back legs and has a pretty bad limp that started yesterday. I know the weather can also effect them and it's been raining here for the past 3 days. Is she having trouble kidding or could this be normal.

Attachments

• IMG_20181025_103918719.jpg
    IMG_20181025_103918719.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 20
  • _20181025_113502.JPG
    _20181025_113502.JPG
    402.1 KB · Views: 13
Hey guys, my 2 year old nanny has been acting strange lately I know she should be getting close to kidding
(her first time) but I don't know when exactly she was bred. I think she may be having contractions because she will stretch her neck back and roll on the ground and paws at it a lot.she doesn't have any discharge but her bag is full. She is also favoring her back legs and has a pretty bad limp that started yesterday. I know the weather can also effect them and it's been raining here for the past 3 days. Is she having trouble kidding or could this be normal.

My Mom's goat kidded around 4 days ago, two coloured does! I don't know much about goats, but hopefully someone who knows more chimes in soon.
Do you have an emergency vet that you can contact in case something goes wrong?

How long has this been going on? So far it sounds pretty normal. As labor progresses she should have a discharge. It will start as a string and then become more copious. It should be white or clear. She will paw the ground and get up and lie down. Once she lies down and starts straining, a kid should appear shortly. If labor stops, that is a sign of trouble and you will have to wash up and put your hand in.

How long has this been going on? So far it sounds pretty normal. As labor progresses she should have a discharge. It will start as a string and then become more copious. It should be white or clear. She will paw the ground and get up and lie down. Once she lies down and starts straining, a kid should appear shortly. If labor stops, that is a sign of trouble and you will have to wash up and put your hand in.

Ok thank you. It's been going on for about 4 or 5 days now. We've had goats for a while but none that acted like her before. Im kinda nervous because we will be out of town this weekend.

I don't like that she has started to limp.
It might be worth seeing if the vet can pop by tomorrow and take a look at her. Better safe than sorry!

I'd have a vet out for the limp. If it were my goat I'd also get up there and see what you feel as far as dilation. I don't know how comfortable you are with doing that (I've delivered lambs before and been up to my elbows in sheep birth so it really doesn't bug me a bit..). If you are not comfortable getting in there as it were, I'd have the vet check her labor progress as well for you.

Yes, I'd call the vet too and at least let him/her know what you're seeing. 4-5 days is a long time. Usually I think if they are in active labor (pushing) for more than 4-6 hours you should call the vet to get their input. It could mean the difference between a live kid and losing the kid(s) and mom...

Back
Top Bottom