Is she okay?

Chick1043

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Idaho
So I saw my dark brahma bantam in the egg box today, going to lay an egg, of course. So I go back out there an hour later and she laid an egg. Another 2 hours later I went back out there and shes in the egg box again..Do they lay two eggs sometimes? Or is she just resting? Or maybe she wants to lay an egg..Any ideas?

Quote:
Yeah, she's still in there. She's been a little grumpy lately..If that helps

Last edited:
Yes, she's broody. She's 'grumpy' because she's defending her eggs from things that might attack them. She should peck your hand if you put it in with her, and if you place a spare egg beside her she'll tuck it under herself. She'll probably be there for quite some time, don't worry, it's natural. She'll come out occasionally and eat huge piles of food and do giant poos. I would extract any eggs from underneath her though before they go off from the warmth
smile.png

If you want her to get off, you can chill an egg or a ceramic egg or something similar and put it under her to cool her tummy off. Never worked for mine but it's meant to xD

Edit: I forgot to say that there's no point in shoving her off the nest and shutting the door - she'll make a racket until you let her back in. Once my bantam, Soup (whose nests are always outside in odd places) got off in the middle of the night and started squawking so loudly we could hear her in the house. Went out to see what was wrong and a hedgehog had crawled into her nest xD It was the only thing that would get her off.

Last edited:
Quote:
lol She's out now..Not being too noisy but still a little grumpy..I think she got out because my black sex-link is in there about to lay an egg. and my black sex-link doesn't like it when any living thing is in there with her while shes laying..

Sometimes they do that, sit there for a while xD She got a teeny bit broody and then it wore off. You're lucky, then. But now you know what to look for. If a chicken goes and sits on a nest, it's there for a reason, so don't worry!

Back
Top Bottom