1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is she only half broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SixChickets, May 9, 2017.

1. SixChickets

SixChickets New Egg

Feb 29, 2016
    Is that even a thing?
    I have a Rhode Island Red that keeps going back to the nesting box for a good part of the day, but not all day, and she sleeps on the roost. I want the eggs back, but I'm unsure if they are ok.
    What is she doing? Should I just take all the eggs, the other hens are laying all over the coop now because won't let them in the box.

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Yes there is such a thing. Some hens practice being broody but are not reliably broody. Some start out half broody before settling in.
    You can 'break' a hen from being broody, it usually involves putting her in a wire bottom cage for 3-5 days. See forums on broody hens, how to break a broody hen, etc. Type your question into the search bar and there is a wealth of info available.
    Good luck!
    Sue
    PS. I would guess the eggs are not okay, (do you mean to eat) how long has it been?

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  3. SixChickets

SixChickets New Egg

Feb 29, 2016
    At first the eggs were warm when we'd go out to collect them, so we'd leave them. Now she runs around with the rest of the flock, I'd say about 2 weeks. I will toss them today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by