Is she sick or just getting old?

Andi-N-drew

Chirping
May 25, 2017
So we received two hens from a neighbor a little over a month ago. One of them layed an egg every 3 days for a few weeks and then stopped laying for about 2weeks, she has recently started laying again. Still about every 3 days or so. The other hen on the other hand has not layed a single egg. The old man (neighbor) said he didn't know how old they were so I just assumed that maybe they were older and slowing down and the stress of moving made her just stop. this morning though while they were out in the yard I saw what looked like a long string of egg white hanging out of her bottom, I walked up to her to check it out and then she pooped while the white was still hanging. I posted a picture of the poop and white. Is this diahrea? I have seen some of it in the coop and run along with normal poop. I looked it up a while ago and read that hens will have a softer stool daily or so and that it is normal. I'm not sure if this is normal soft stool or diahrea . Also is that egg white or something else? She seems otherwise fine and healthy. They have oyster shell available , wether or not she eats it I'm not sure. The other hens shells seem pretty healthy, not super tough but not incredibly fragile either.

Attachments

• IMG_20170615_084731.jpg
    IMG_20170615_084731.jpg
    671.2 KB · Views: 37
Hopefully others will chime in but I think I see a worm in there.
Would signs of worms be the same as any other animal? Rice like? I don't recall seeing any but I also wasn't looking for worms so could have missed that. And it's not the mucus you see and might seem like a worm? Not saying your wrong at all i have no idea, just wanted to make sure that's not what you were seeing? Thanks for replying, hopefully like you said, others will too. I'm beginning to get worried about her.

Would signs of worms be the same as any other animal? Rice like? I don't recall seeing any but I also wasn't looking for worms so could have missed that. And it's not the mucus you see and might seem like a worm? Not saying your wrong at all i have no idea, just wanted to make sure that's not what you were seeing? Thanks for replying, hopefully like you said, others will too. I'm beginning to get worried about her.
Also would DE be a good treatment for worms? Sprinkled on their feed?

I think i maybe do see something in there. If you go to 'home' here at BYC there is a topic of the week and it is about worms and how to treat them. Hopefully it helps. Could be stress, or they could be just old. Not sure. Just keep an eye on them.

I think i maybe do see something in there. If you go to 'home' here at BYC there is a topic of the week and it is about worms and how to treat them. Hopefully it helps. Could be stress, or they could be just old. Not sure. Just keep an eye on them.
So what about the mucus though, is that egg white? Or something else? If it is egg white than why would it be present like that, just hanging out?

I wouldn't jump to the worms conclusion.
The only worm you're likely to see in chicken poop is round worms,
all other are microscopic and need a fecal float by someone reputable and can report species and counts before treatments, IMO.

That looks like cecal poop, nothing to be alarmed about.
The long sting of clear could be egg white, round worms are white.

If it was egg white that came out, she could have produced a softshell egg and it broke inside ...or a shelless egg.
Take a good look at her vent and see what you can see.
It could be that she is coming back into lay after the stress of moving, funky eggs can happen as they into or out of lay.

I'd just keep an eye on her and what comes out of her for more clues.

Back
Top Bottom