Is she too old to lay eggs?

katanne555

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 29, 2013
Maine
Hello :) I have a 4 year old Rhode Island Red chicken. She has stopped laying eggs and I am assuming this is because of her age. Does anyone know when chickens stop laying eggs, or when they're supposed to stop? Any help would be much appreciated thank you:)

Is she still molting? Egg production drops during the molting phase,also due to there being less day light also lowers production. Did she continue to lay last year around this time or did she take a winter break?

She has just finished molting a few weeks ago, and last year I think she continued to lay until the snow started to fall.

I once had a Barred Rock that laid a few eggs a week until she died at 8 years old. I don't think they ever entirely quit, but this time of year they probably won't lay much.

I have read a thread on another chicken site where a lady had a 14 yr old hen that still laid an egg 2-3 times a week . I am not sure why she isn't laying anymore could be a number of things,stress,diet change,lighting,egg-bound,internally laying,this list could go on and on. I wish I could offer you some kind of advice. Best of luck and she may have just decided to take a winter break a little early.

Back
Top Bottom