Is skull cap healing properly? -Injury

Drena

Hatching
Feb 17, 2024
As this is the first time ever experiencing a chicken who was scalped by her flock mates, I no Baseline to be able to tell if this is a normal healing process or I should be concerned.

Nora was attacked on Jan 25 and we took her to the vet to sew up her head.

The vet gave antibiotics for 1 week and a pain med. We believe she was attacked because (as we discovered) she had worms. We have confirmed with vet that deworming was safe in conjunction with her head injury.

A week later we removed her stitches and discovered a part of her skin had fallen away farther down her neck. The head tissue had become necrotic, smelled and needed to be removed. We took her back to the vet and he removed it (I also passed out watching). Then told me that the skin on her head would never close up or grow back, and her skull would always be visible. We brought her home to cull her based on what the vet told us, however, she acts like a perfectly healthy chicken, great appetite, drinks like normal, etc. She is a little weak I think so lays down often, is unable to perch, and still has really watery poos.
We (My mother and I) decided NOT to cull her after talking it over.

I've been referring to this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/emergency-scalped-chick-skull-completely-exposed.210508/

For support care, keeping her head moist with triple antibiotic ointment. I've also begun to give her ACV mixed with water, and plain Greek yogurt, boiled egg yolk, and pellet softened with water ( she loves it!).

I'd just like to know if her head looks like it is healing normally, or if there is anything that looks concerning.

I tried to find a post or forum with info but wasn't really sure if I was searching properly.

First 2 photos are what it currently looks like, the last one if before the vet pulled the necrotic skin off. You can see down her neck a bit where the skin separated. That was the area we were most concerned with possibly becoming gangrenous.

It doesn't smell anymore and she is okay with me putting the neosporin on. Should I wash the area now that the necrotic skin is removed? If so, what would be best to wash it with?

Attachments

• 20240217_190928.jpg
    20240217_190928.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240217_190847.jpg
    20240217_190847.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240214_095356.jpg
    20240214_095356.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 16
:welcome She is doing fine. Very likely her wound will heal completely. Such wounds heal from the outside inwards and it takes time, but complete healing is possible. I have had many pigeons and some chickens heal from such wounds. Veterinarians frequently have little experience in dealing with such problems.

:welcome She is doing fine. Very likely her wound will heal completely. Such wounds heal from the outside inwards and it takes time, but complete healing is possible. I have had many pigeons and some chickens heal from such wounds. Veterinarians frequently have little experience in dealing with such problems.
Thank you for taking time to respond.

She actually is roosting tonight for the first time in months! I figured that is a good sign too.

Attachments

• 20240217_212208.jpg
    20240217_212208.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 14
I have seen little hats that people have made that can cover the injury, if the the other flock members see it they may peck it and she will be in bad shape. GL..

Back
Top Bottom