Is Sluggo Plus harmful to ducks?

TaraontheCoast

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Oakland, CA
I don't have my ducklings yet, and even when I get them, they'll be indoors for weeks. I have serious slug issues in my garden, and my poor purple podded pole bean starts are getting ravaged. The slugs are even sneaking in under my reemay.

I have and use Sluggo Plus in my greenhouse to keep pests away from my starts there, but I'm afraid to sprinkle it in the garden because if it IS toxic to ducks, I wouldn't want to bring ducks into an environment with stuff that could be harmful to them.

This says that it's non-toxic to dogs, but my Sluggo container says to keep away rom household pets as it could be harmful to them.

Anyone used Sluggo Plus around their ducks without negative consequence? Help save my seedlings!

Everything I've always read says that while ducks love to eat slugs, they shouldn't be allowed to eat slugs that have possibly eaten slug bait. So I"d guess the slug bait itself is really unhealthy for ducks in general. Of course, I don't know what's in Sluggo. Does it make any claim to be different in ingredients from most slug baits?
As for dogs vs. ducks, I"m just hazarding a guess here, but the difference in body weight alone could be why it's non-toxic to dogs but terrible for ducks.

EDIT: Nvm, I'm an idiot and should have read the article first. I see why you wonder. Have you tried just salting the areas around your plants? In a few weeks you'll have your own personal slug and snail hunters and hopefully they'll take care of the problem for you.

Last edited:
Salt and beer? Absolutely. I guess I should have done more reading on natural pest control. I have coarse sea salt I can sprinkle down and could make some beer traps as well. Thanks so much!

I think that iron phosphate is safe around all pets and wildlife. If you wanted to be safe, apply it now and the bait will be gone by the time your ducks are ready to forage. That's what I did last year.

If you use the beer traps, save the drowned slugs and feed them to your ducklings. They will love you for it, and it will train them early to eat slugs.

On the positive side, my horrible slug problem entirely disappeared after my ducks started free ranging. In fact, the only slugs I have seen since last year have been in the woods, where the ducks don't go. Now I wish I had more slugs for the ducks to eat!

Quote:
lau.gif
Yes! Save them in jars. in the fridge.
lol.png

Just don't store them next to your garlic cloves:

4449869117_34d1ea796e.jpg

I shouldn't laugh. I have pet snakes, my own freezer is full of nightmares. But on the bright side, no one steals my fudgcicles.

Most pesticides are gone, or fallen apart, after 6 weeks. This means after that it is safe. Also plant comfrey. Slugs hate that herb. I had a slug problem in Maryland, planted comfrey and next I've heard my neighbor complaining about a slug invasion. LOL Anyway, I always plant herbs along my flowers and shrubs. Don't use most of them at all. Just be prepared that some of them will multiply fast, yet it gives wonderful additional flowers. Usually small flowers but so pretty. I plant garlic and onion too. Onions get those huge snow ball sized flower heads. Really nice looking, just cut it off before the seeds fall. I also love radish. My dog loves to eat them, and they get those cute pink flowers.
Katharina

Back
Top Bottom