is smoking near chickens bad

sybil

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 7, 2008
Oh my god! My mother caught my boyfriends brother smoking a cigarette in front of her baby chickens talk about freaking out was there really a need for her to act like we were beheading the them?

HI it wouldnt harm them on that level,

however i DO like smoked chicken myself..
duc.gif
LOL

Charlie

As a smoker, I'd say second hand smoke is not good for any living thing to be around and with bedding thrown into the mix it could be a potential fire hazzard, so I wouldn't smoke around them.

I wouldnt worry about it to much its not like they are in a cloud nine of smoke and im sure it was very brief,,

Some of our big citys have bad air but that doesnt stop folks for living and going there...

charlie

I do wonder if the smoking harms hatching eggs, though. They are porous, as we know, and when someone is smoking as they package them up to mail out, trapping those toxins in with the eggs, it could possibly affect hatchability. I received one box that reeked of cigarette smoke once and that was my worst hatch of shipped eggs ever, so it's something to think about. Of course, with all the factors involved in shipped eggs, it may not have been that, per se, but it's worth considering as another factor in a bad hatch of shipped eggs. They have enough strikes against them, right?

I think your mom may have over reacted like society generally does
with smoking. The biggest risk of smoking around chickens is that
they will swallow a cigarette butt. That would almost definately
kill a chicken.

And you wouldn't want them to take up the habit themselves. 10 chickens with a pack a day habit would become a little expensive.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom