IS SOMETHING WRONG? PEKIN DUCKS. PLEASE HELP ME!

The more I read up on it, the more it sounds like an impaction. I apologize for the improper terminology earlier though, apparently they don't really have a true crop. I remember reading this before, but forgot. Instead, they can store a lot more food in their esophagus before going into their stomach.

I'm certainly no expert, but if it were me I'd try putting them in a warm bath and feeling around to see if I could massage it down. Can you feel any hard lumps or knots? They should have full access to water, maybe try adding some probiotics in there. I would withhold food until this passes, unless you soak it well for them. Try sticking to a complete food, like a multi-flock feed. Corn is just going to put weight on and not give them much nutrients. Could also be hard to digest without grit.

Last edited:
THANK YOU SO MUCH. They are doing so much better all the sudden. I forced them to drink some olive oil (which helps with impacts) and put them in a warm bath. They are no longer doing the headbob, and are having so much fun swimming, like they used to!! You honestly saved my ducks, and my wallet from having to go to the vet, which I can't afford. THANK YOU!

Also, my friend who has a farm just told me they are obese and I have been feeding them WAY too much, which is common with Pekins because they always look hungry. Them being obese is part of the crop issue.

Thank you all for saving my ducks!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH. They are doing so much better all the sudden. I forced them to drink some olive oil (which helps with impacts) and put them in a warm bath. They are no longer doing the headbob, and are having so much fun swimming, like they used to!! You honestly saved my ducks, and my wallet from having to go to the vet, which I can't afford. THANK YOU!
Awesome, I'm so happy!! I understand the cost issues, as I have a hen currently with some sort of skin issue and the vet would cost hundreds, so this website has been such a blessing. So happy to contribute!

Definitely be sure to switch up the feed to something more complete and you can try adding water to soak it before, which will help to break it down in case they eat too fast. And offer grit on the side at all times so they can choose it if they feel they need it.

Glad they are improving already.
They definatly need a different diet. An all flock or flock raiser pellet.
Corn is not a complete diet and will make them overweight

Back
Top Bottom