Is something wrong with my 2 week old Wyandotte? She seems she may be hurt and i need advice

Ivahribal

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2021
I currently have 2 silver laced Wyandottes, 2 weeks old. I got them with a few different breeds on the same day. I downsized my chicks by about half and added in some lavender Orpingtons which were actually born in the same day. I put them together tonight for the first time, and checked on them frequently and sat and watched them but everything seemed fine. When I was moving them into the larger brooder we got, she looked lame and wouldn’t walk. One of her wings was also laid out. She doesn’t seem to want to walk or anything? And neither does my other Wyandotte.
The worst part is I think she’s injuring herself or being pecked on? I never would’ve expected that because she’s a little feistier than the other chicks. I’m not sure if a lavender did this to her orbit this is something that happens? Help please.

she’s also sleeping right now and standing up straight. I just want to hear what all of you think.
thank you

Can you get a picture of her?
I thought I added one I’ll try again
DD36153A-51ED-4D5F-8EC3-DCC64A9AC335.jpeg

My other Wyandotte who is her BFF just pooped and it was normal. So I guess I need to separate her but i need tips on how to help her. Probiotics? Can I mix some therbiotic in her water? I think that’s all I have on hand right now. I have acv & many natural things.

There are a few possibilities... have you watched to see them eat? It’s unusual for chicks that are two weeks old to bully and keep each other from food and water, but not unheard of. I would make sure they are eating and drinking and it’s not something as simple as dehydration or hunger. How’s the temp in the brooder? So they have a cool side to go to?
If you don’t observe any bullying, I would keep them all together and start treating for coccidiosis ASAP. Bloody stools are a symptom of cocci but doesn’t always present that way. See if your local tractor supply has any Corid. Mix into their water and offer that as their only source of water for 5 to 7 days, then retreat again in a week.

Just an update, I did get the corid and have been giving it to all of them. My sick Wyandotte has made a full recovery and after babying her for a full day she is so loving towards me now.

I ended up separating my 9 original chicks from the lavenders though. Their behavior changed so much from putting them together, and the lavenders are completely wild and seem stressed all the time. It made my original chicks seem stressed and afraid of everything as well. Now that I separated them again they are content and happy, never flighty and never afraid of me. Though the lavenders brooder has plenty of space, the walls are high.

We are going to try putting the lavenders in a brooder they can see out of from the side, and I’m going to try to tame them a bit and maybe reintroduce them next week.

Back
Top Bottom