Is something wrong with my duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chic071, Mar 28, 2015.

1. chic071

chic071 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2009
    I have six khaki Campbell ducklings and one has always been smaller than the others. The rest are growing like weeds and she has grown a bit. She is about a third of the size of the rest. Should I be worried. They are three weeks old.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That happens sometimes. Other than not appearing to grow as fast as the others how is she eating good running around like the rest?

3. Tiger2

Tiger2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2015
    I too have one of my mallards that is much smaller than the others. She eats and drinks and runs around fine. I guess she,i like to think it's a hen,will be fine.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Might be a good idea to invest in a digital kitchen scale and start weighing it every few days. Growing ducks, chicks, peachicks, goslings, poults, etc should make daily gains. As long as my runts are gaing a little each day I don't wory, but if they don't gain, or lose weight, then I try to figure out what might be making them sick.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your duckling is sick, just that getting a baseline weight on it would be a good idea. [​IMG]

The digital scale I bought at Target and weighs anything from about 5 grams to 5kg. One of the best $25 I spent for the birds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  5. localife

localife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2015
    I've got a Welsh Harlequin duckling who is substantially smaller than her nine siblings -- she is growing, just waaaaayyyyy slower than everyone else. Just a word of caution, mine was in with everyone else and got stepped on several times, which seems to have caused some problems with her legs. I separated her, and she seems to be recovering, but if I had it to do over again, I would have separated her (maybe with one other duckling for company) as soon as I noticed how much smaller she was to protect her from being squished.

1 person likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Not only can they get stepped on and injured but sometimes they can't get to the feed if the bigger ones push her out so yes separating with one buddy can really help in situations like this. Glad you little on is recovering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by