Is Sugar feather farm a reliable source?

im looking to get ayam cemani eggs from them and want to know if i can trust them
I have no personal experience with them.

I did a search on this site, and found very few people mentioning personal experiences.

@deidreg mentions them several times in various threads, ranging from December 2020 to the present. A few samples:
I got my pullets (also first flock) from Sugar Feather Farm in Vermont. I drove up and back in a day. I highly recommend them. They can provide eggs, chicks, or pullets. Good luck!

Sugar Feather Farm's owner tells me she's a Favaucana. (Faverolles/Amarucana mix) I remember her telling me this when I picked her up, but she doesn't fit the usual characteristics. I trust what I'm told, so Favaucana it is!

Hi! I'm in CT and got four pullets last October for my first flock. They did well in winter and started laying in early February during some very cold days! I recommend checking out Sugar Feather Farm in Berlin VT. Nicolle sold me my pullets and they've been great. I drove to her farm to pick them up. They have a good variety, but order soon. It takes a few months to get pullets.

Here is a post from April of this year, from someone who ordered Rhode Island White eggs from them:
Well the heritage RIW came today from Sugar Feather Farm… I ordered 6 eggs, they shipped 7 so that’s good. The eggs appear a bit darker than the RIR ones, but also less uniform in colour. They are now in our secondary incubator… packaging looked good as well. Lots of wood chips with the eggs wrapped in individual foam packaging.View attachment 3052810
(Looking further in that thread, I see that the eggs failed to hatch.)

And here is a post from February 2022, from someone who got Ayam Cemani from them:
Avoid Sugar Feather Farms. 1 died in transit, 1 died on arrival from sickness. Of the 6 left, 1 has a crossed beak, 1 has a completely white feathered head, and 1 is half the size of the other 5. So 50% of the ones that survives are junk, mixed birds with bad genetics and likely the rest are carrying the poor genetics.

Edit to add: missed one. This is from January 2022, and appears to be Seramas:
I have also had an order with sugar-feather farms and their prices are more reasonable (25-30$/3week old chick) than any other hatchery I have seen and they ship the birds at 3 weeks old which is great. Only problem with them is that the waiting list is super long. Mine come in spring. Hope you can find some though, they are amazing animals. Don't give up!
(oops, editing again: they ordered the chicks, but never updated whether the chicks arrived.)

Of course, a search also turned up @JacinLarkwell's thread, but you've already heard about that.

This is such a small number of people with experiences that I don't know if you can learn much from it :(

Oml, I was thinking of the wrong hatchery the last time I replied.

It's still a risk. I'm probably going to take it and do eggs (I'd love feathered juveniles but I'm not 100% prepared with quarantine in case they have something awful) of the breeds I want.

I have no personal experience with them.

I did a search on this site, and found very few people mentioning personal experiences.

@deidreg mentions them several times in various threads, ranging from December 2020 to the present. A few samples:

Here is a post from April of this year, from someone who ordered Rhode Island White eggs from them:

(Looking further in that thread, I see that the eggs failed to hatch.)

And here is a post from February 2022, from someone who got Ayam Cemani from them:

Edit to add: missed one. This is from January 2022, and appears to be Seramas:

(oops, editing again: they ordered the chicks, but never updated whether the chicks arrived.)

Of course, a search also turned up @JacinLarkwell's thread, but you've already heard about that.

This is such a small number of people with experiences that I don't know if you can learn much from it :(
thanks i know that had to take a lot of time :hugs

When looking for a specific breed, especially one like the Ayam Cemani that has been diluted over the past years, I recommend the breeders association which has a breeders directory with folks who are trying to maintain the breed standard. You can probably find someone close to your area that can ship you eggs or even chicks.

https://ayamcemani.us/

Good luck!😊

Back
Top Bottom