Is that my chicken on that fence?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by annaraven, Nov 27, 2010.

1. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Okay, I guess I was a bad mommy. I let my girls freerange without me being there to supervise. I was in the kitchen cooking, and happened to look up to see something flying onto the fence of the neighbor across the street. That sure looks like Stella, I thought.

Ran outside, and walked up to her, cooing like I do when I'm giving them treats, and sure enough, it was Stella, my 20week? Sicilian Buttercup. I picked her up, brought her back across the street, into the house, and had my daughter hold her while I clipped her wing. Then we called all the girls into the coop and put her in with them.

Good thing I saw it! I would have been totally freaking out if she hadn't come in to roost tonight! And that neighbor has a dog that I don't know how well it would react to chickens. Eep! [​IMG]

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Younger birds fly better than adults. Big hens get so heavy that they don't fly as much anymore, but the teenagers will go everywhere while they still can!!!!

3. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:i wish that was true with OEGB hens... i had to wait 30 minutes for my roo to come off my roof today... i threw some mealworms on the floor and he finally came down to have a snack...

i don't have that problem with my cochins and silkies... LOL...

4. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Yep. My Buffy doesn't fly much at all. A little wing-assisted hopping here and there and that's about it. She's the eldest. Stella is the teenager. Quite a lovely pullet; not laying yet but not a chick either. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of eggs she lays... So she better stick around! [​IMG]

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    [​IMG] Good thing you saw her! I would of been worried sick! "Is that my chicken on that fence?" Not somehting you hear everyday [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by