Is that really how big...

jenni22776rn

Songster
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Central Maine
So I took my DH and DS to the poultry show today..came home with 2 little silkie babies
love.gif
here is the issue..there were a couple of Buff Orpington roosters there that were..well HUGE!! We have one BO rooster Mr Russell who is 6 months old and is a good size. My DH has never been around chickens until this year when I intoduced them our family. The problem is now that he has seen how large the BO roos get..he is freaking out!! Does anyone have any BO Rooster pix or stories to share? Our boy Russell is sweet and is just starting to act like a little boy..but now my DH is looking at him in a diffrent way...and is getting a little nervous at how large he may get. I tried to explain to him that the ones at the show were show quality and may be larger then pet quality ones...but he still is not convinced and is nervous at the thought of Russell becoming mean and being that large..HELP!!

Quote:
SQ birds are much larger than the hatchery ones.

If your boy is 6 months old already he won't get much larger. He will fill out some though. I will say my largest roos have also been my most docile and calm, and never bothered anyone.

BTW I went to the show today too with my daughter. What color silkies did you bring home? We managed to escape without bringing anything.
smile.png

Last edited:
Let's see if I say it right..A non bearded(is that how you say it?) black silkie and a bearded(?) partridge silkie? I went there with no cash in my pocket knowing if I saw silkies I would want one...then as we were walking out my son saw the pen and fell in love and when I said no..I have no cash...he pulled out his wallet!! I could not say no at that point!! I mean really what is 2 more chickens right? And like I explained to the DH silkies are smaller so really 2 of them will equal one reg size hen! lol! Ok that sounded more sane when I said it to him!!
You left with nothing from the show? I am sorry your not feeling well...I hope you recover soon!
lol.png
lol.png

Quote:

If your boy is 6 months old already he won't get much larger. He will fill out some though. I will say my largest roos have also been my most docile and calm, and never bothered anyone.

BTW I went to the show today too with my daughter. What color silkies did you bring home? We managed to escape without bringing anything.
smile.png

Not just SQ. Breeder quality in general.

They are huge- bigger the better with Orps. Look here. Jody and Charlie are great! http://www.hinkjcpoultry.com/bufforpingtons.htm

81782_t.jpg

81782_rrt.jpg

This is My Buff Orpington rooster..Mr Russell. he is about 5-6 months old. Sweet guy and is just starting to notice the ladies!
These are the little silkie chicks I got today!
81782_061.jpg

Quote:

smile.png

Not just SQ. Breeder quality in general.

They are huge- bigger the better with Orps. Look here. Jody and Charlie are great! http://www.hinkjcpoultry.com/bufforpingtons.htm

Yes, birds bred to the SOP are usually larger than hatchery birds, especially dual purpose birds. I went to a show few months a ago, the Orpingtons were one of the largest there (wasn't a huge show, though). Their feathering only makes them look bigger, too!
Pretty birds, Jenni22776rn.

PipsNick, remember you don't want over sized birds nor do you want brown egg laying Leghorns.....

Last edited:
BO are very friendly, but I had heard that you should handle roosters less because they have to know that the human is higher on the totem pole. Did I see this roo elsewhere and you said his name was Mr. Russell Crowe? I love that name if so!

Quote:
You did..I just posted his picture with my new silkies...and his name is Mr Russell Crowe!! lol!! He is one of the 17 BO roos that were rescued this past feb in the trash..he is just so sweet and I am hoping he stays that way!! Growing up I recall having mean roosters that always chased us and they always somehow just vanished..lol!!

My exhibition orpingtons are huge!!
ep.gif
But they are also really sweet and easy to handle.
big_smile.png
They do get handled allot for showing so that may have something to do with their personalities too. But as for size, yes they are much bigger than just hathery or normal backyard stock. When friends visit they ask me if they are part turkey.
tongue.png

This is my now 1 year old when he was only 7 months old.
49849_dsc04339.jpg

This is from a show this spring, he just turned a year old the end of March
49849_dsc04932.jpg

Back
Top Bottom