Is that the inside of my chicken? - Should I put her down?

Kalthia

Songster
14 Years
Nov 16, 2009
Virginia
My Blue Laced Red Wyandotte - was fine 2 days ago. She is just under a year old.
Today - I wanted to check her because I see she is suddenly losing a lot of feathers.
I turned her over after a bath and it looks like she is split up the middle. She has white worms - which I assume are maggots.

My other birds seem fine - but I am going to inspect each carefully today.

I do not know if anything happened - what could make this happen? Can she be saved?
After a bath she went to picking at her butt -

There is no bleeding that I see - when I flipped her over, it looks like the skin covering from her breastbone back to her vent split open, and I can run my fingers in and under that. I see the worms deep inside going into a hole next to her left leg. Are those her organs I am seeing?

She was eating regularly and had a good time running with the other chickens in the yard 2 days ago.

They have a coop - and small run and a large run. Lately three of the five stay outside the coop - but she and another usually go in at night.

IMG_8092.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, I think you are seeing some of her organs.
Yes, I think those white worms are probably maggots. But if they are maggots, then this happened at least a few days ago (long enough for flies to lay eggs, that hatched into maggots.)

I do not think she is going to heal without some kind of medical help.

If you have access to a vet that deals with poultry, you could ask them. If someone was able to remove all the maggots, clean anything dirty, check for other injuries, and stitch her up: she might have a chance to recover.

Regarding the question in the title-- if I was the owner, I would probably put her down. I do not have access to a vet that would see poultry, and I do not have the skills to recognize what other injuries may be present, and to stitch that up properly. If you have access to a vet, or have the right skills, you might make a different decision than I would.

Yes, I think you are seeing some of her organs.
Yes, I think those white worms are probably maggots. But if they are maggots, then this happened at least a few days ago (long enough for flies to lay eggs, that hatched into maggots.)

I do not think she is going to heal without some kind of medical help.

If you have access to a vet that deals with poultry, you could ask them. If someone was able to remove all the maggots, clean anything dirty, check for other injuries, and stitch her up: she might have a chance to recover.

Regarding the question in the title-- if I was the owner, I would probably put her down. I do not have access to a vet that would see poultry, and I do not have the skills to recognize what other injuries may be present, and to stitch that up properly. If you have access to a vet, or have the right skills, you might make a different decision than I would.
Thank you - I am desperately trying to find a vet open today - it isn't going well.

I would personally put her down. But that is a decision that only you can make. If she were mine, I wouldn't want her to be in pain, chickens hide pain very well. Sorry you are going through this

Back
Top Bottom